GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG major failure after mechatronics valve body and temp/speed sensor replacement -- help needed!

tycar5231

Hey All,

I've got a 2007 DSG GTI with ~105K on the odometer.
At about 95K I had intermittent PRNDS flashing and hard shifts, but it would go months between issues, and it either resolved immediately while driving or after a quick break.

It progressively got worse/more frequent and eventually threw error codes P0608 (Control Module VSS Output A) and P2732 (Pressure Control Solenoid F Performance / Stuck Off) regularly.

I ordered a new valve cylinder body (the non-computer part of the mechatronics unit) as well as a new temperature/speed sensor and replaced them. While I was in there, I did a DSG fluid and filter change. Couple things to note about the work:
1. I noticed the dsg oil had a fine glittery sheen, so definitely some grinding, but for all I know that was the hard shifting when it went into limp mode
2. I checked all the connectors between the circuit mounting strap and the solenoid cylinders
3. Had no issues getting the unit in/out, no bent bits or scratches
4. I did NOT do any coding after replacing the valves or the temp/speed sensors (I don't/didn't know if that was recommended/required if not replacing the computer portion of the mechatronics unit)

After putting everything back together, the gears shifted fine in the garage. Then on the first test drive I got two upshifts and about a block before slowing for a stop sign with a single downshift before it seemed to go into neutral with flashing PRNDS. Note: not limp mode. I had no gears and could rev freely regardless of what I did with the shifter. I rolled it slowly back down the hill about a half a block before turning it off and restarting. At that point the PRNDS flashing stopped and I drove it home.

A few hours later I tried again but this time I let the car warm to operating temp while in the garage, shifted through the full set of gears a few times, popped into tap-shifting, etc. Then when I took it for another cautious drive, I got 3 blocks during which time I up-shifted to 3rd twice, and down-shifted to 1st when coming to a single stop. After the stop and as I was slowing down, it did a funny downshift, flashed PRNDS and I lost all gears again. This time I pulled over to the side while it was still rolling. After stopping I could rev freely but couldn't shift. What's crazier is it was in a gear, possibly park. I couldn't push it as if it were in neutral, couldn't get it to shift, despite the shifter moving freely, and I could rev like in neutral or in park. I turned off/on at least 15 times and tried to rock it back and forth hoping to force a gear shift or to pop it into neutral so I could push home. 2hrs of this while waiting for a tow truck and no changes. Every time I restarted the PRNDS would stop flashing for a few mins then come on when I hit the gas or tried to shift. It gave me error codes:

P0756 (Shift Solenoid B Performance / Stuck Off)

P2711 (Unexpected Mechanical Gear Disengagement) -- wtfff??

Then, after pushing it into the garage on a jack, and letting it sit for a few weeks, I went in to show it to a potential scrap buyer and the damn thing went into gear! I was able to drive forward then shift into reverse and back it up inside the garage without PRNDS flashing. I quickly shut it off, but it got me thinking it might be solvable.

Any suggestions???

Is this a code-able fix? Should I try a used DSG transmission?