GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG fluid change yes or no?

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have a 2007 with DSG and 107k miles. I’m pretty sure the DSG fluid and filter had never been changed. Is it a bad idea to do it at this point?

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
That's like asking if it's a bad idea to give up smoking after doing it for 30 years. Yes, change it asap, it's waaaaaaay over schedule. I'm surprised the mechatronics haven't packed up.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I have a 2007 with DSG and 107k miles. I’m pretty sure the DSG fluid and filter had never been changed. Is it a bad idea to do it at this point?

Take care of it asap, I take it you are not original owner. Check with a Vw dealer to see if they have any records for a change.

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I know the original owner and they don’t remember ever having it done.

I called a local reputable Euro shop. They specialize in BMW and Mercedes. They said they do it on occasion, but refused when they asked the mileage and when it was done last and told me not to change it. There’s other VW shops I could take it but I got worried after talking to the first shop.

I could probably change it myself, but I don’t want to screw it up.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Forget what the Bimmer/Merc shop told you....I've done mine each 40k miles and am approaching a fourth at 160k miles. You really want to continue running it with the original filter and fluid when it is recommended each 40k miles?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I know the original owner and they don’t remember ever having it done.

I could probably change it myself, but I don’t want to screw it up.

Then it was most likely skipped twice, just find a shop preferably a VW shop and take care of it. Yes you can do it yourself but you need a few spec tools and Vcds that can read the temp sensor for the trans fluid.

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have an appointment at a Euro specialty shop today for DSG service. I have faith in them because they fully built an A4 engine for one of my friends.

They do DSG service all the time and what they charge is relatively cheap. They told me that it’s risky at this point, but I’m willing to chance it because it’s risky either way. I have my fingers crossed!

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Service is done. I drove the car 75 miles home and it feels great. The biggest difference I notice is the clutch engagement when starting from a full stop. It previously hesitated a bit.

I asked about the state of the fluid and filter. They said it looked no different from cars that follow the normal service schedule.