GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG crossed with cruise control = cool

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
Whether one subscribes to the nice-and-easy or drive-it-like-you-stole-it school of thought on breaking in a car, prolonged periods at the same revs on a new car isn't very good for it...

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Scotaku said:
Well, my trip to WV was to crew for a friend completing his SCCA competition license school. New motor? Not even dropped into the car? 3 grand for half an hour to season it. Six years later, it's still getting the snot beat out of it once a month for six months and then hung up wet. No reliability issues there on a motor been built by a handful of fanboys. Coem look me up in five years when I'm getting better mileage than everyone else on the forums and you don't believe I track my car. (Hint: that's the story of my Passat)

That's great. However, given all the various opinions on break-in, the one consistent factor is to NOT let the engine run a long time at one RPM for a long time.
Your time frame is not that long, but when you connected "break in" with steady rpm for a long run, that brings out the "that ain't right" comments, simply because it is NOT a recommended thing to do for break in.

However, my views are different from most on the issue of "break in". The engines are broken in at the factory when they are built and then the oil drained and refilled. So, by the time we get our cars the engines are pretty much "broke in" and we simply do the final little bit to let all the other car parts rub each other and get friendly and aquainted. It's a process of love, and that can't be a bad thing. :wub:

T

Last edited:

kidkusu

My other ride is a UH-60
This call for my cool forum pictures

Dude sounds like a fun trip. I have ridden my Harley through a bit of Western Maryland up in the Allegheney area and some of West Virginia. My wifes family is from Cumberland and around Oakland so we usually hang out there before PCS trips for the Army. Hope this helps get the thread out of the hijack mode.:biggrin:

Attachments

• misc5.jpg
    misc5.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 380

GTT

Touring Car Champion
kidkusu said:
This call for my cool forum pictures

Dude sounds like a fun trip. I have ridden my Harley through a bit of Western Maryland up in the Allegheney area and some of West Virginia. My wifes family is from Cumberland and around Oakland so we usually hang out there before PCS trips for the Army. Hope this helps get the thread out of the hijack mode.:biggrin:

Ok, I missed something. What topic was being discussed and thus hijacked?
The post was about a long trip used to "break in" an engine.
That's what the subsequent posts were about.

So, it fits under "general discussions". If the thread is about something other than the car, then it would belong in "off topic".
:iono:

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
atomoverride said:
My right foot has lead in it, and tends to go faster and never staying at a resonable speed. :thumbup:

Now that's what I'm talkin about, a proper hijacking. :w00t:
If you're going to take it then take it.

T