GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dry air filter initial impressions

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
So after reading a lot about fuel trim issues and MAFs getting filter oil on them I decided to get a AEM dry air-filter and some MAF cleaner, as I recently have been running rich and loosing MPG. Last night I swapped out my old P-flo filter (that I actually just cleaned) with the AEM dry filter and cleaned the Bosch MAF sensor. So far my initial impressions are not good. The turbo seems to take considerable more time spooling and I boost lower. I used to peak around 20 psi (stage 2), and now its like 18. I have also begun to notice rougher shifts. I haven't been driving enough to notice an MPG difference but I will report back once I have had more time with it.

Now I know that dry filters generally do have a lower flow rate, but how noticeable it is is surprising. Has anyone else made this change and noticed similar issues?

Car(s)
Subaru
I thought drys flow better. Also, cleaning the maf wrong can screw it up. I poor cleaner in a bag and let the sensor soak in it, then take it out and let it air dry. Maybe swoosh the liquid around a little in the bag just to agitate it a little.

I'm running the same filter after k&n caused a few problems. I experienced good results.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Running a dryflo on my Neuspeed intake now, zero problems

Duster117

Ready to race!
this sounds more like boost leak, don`t it? :iono:
i peak around 22-23psi stage2 giac

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I thought drys flow better. Also, cleaning the maf wrong can screw it up. I poor cleaner in a bag and let the sensor soak in it, then take it out and let it air dry. Maybe swoosh the liquid around a little in the bag just to agitate it a little.

I'm running the same filter after k&n caused a few problems. I experienced good results.

Question about this, I've been trying to find a good way to clean the MAF sensor and haven't found much yet.. What kind of cleaner do you use? Do you use enough in the bag so that 100% of the sensor is submerged? How long do you let it sit in there for?

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
There is no way a dry filter has lost you 2psi, I am betting it's something else. I never had any issues when I ran a dry filter.

Car(s)
Subaru
Question about this, I've been trying to find a good way to clean the MAF sensor and haven't found much yet.. What kind of cleaner do you use? Do you use enough in the bag so that 100% of the sensor is submerged? How long do you let it sit in there for?

I think it's 3m maf cleaner. But yeah, I fill the bag up with it and let it sit for about 10mins. I've heard people say they spray up inside it before but I'm afraid I'll damage it doing it like that

Try unplugging the maf and see if you get your boost back. Also, bad gas and colder temps can cause lower boost levels. Also leaks

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
One of two things probably happened. Either the maf got fouled or the intake coupler connecting the intake to the turbo came loose causing a leak. Those are thentwo most probable issues based on just switching intkae filters and cleaning your maf.

alerxovawo

Ready to race!
I can attest to this. I tried a dry AEM on my Neuspeed intake and immediately lost 2 psi. Just like OP described, it took boost forever to build as well. I switched back to my oiled filter and it ran fine again.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Try the old Pflo and see if it changes. What did you use to clean the MAF? Check everything is tight.

Is this something where you need to give the computer some miles to adapt? The MAF is not the only part of the air/fuel mixture calculation. It is also paying attention to the pre-cat o2 sensor and probably the MAP sensor too.

I think the fears about filter oil are overblown, because K&N "oil" is more of a wax that is applied in a liquid state thanks to the presence of solvents. but it could still happen i guess. in extreme cases.

Car(s)
Subaru
Is this something where you need to give the computer some miles to adapt? The MAF is not the only part of the air/fuel mixture calculation. It is also paying attention to the pre-cat o2 sensor and probably the MAP sensor too.

I think the fears about filter oil are overblown, because K&N "oil" is more of a wax that is applied in a liquid state thanks to the presence of solvents. but it could still happen i guess. in extreme cases.

it happened to me twice while using a k&n. i knew i would screw it up if i tried to recharge it too, so i chucked that pos in the trash when it turned black. now i run a dry filter without issue and when it turns black, ill blow it out and go into it turns black again, then blow it out and go into it turns black again................................ :cool: