GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Motorsport Stage 2+ Review

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Firstly I want to say I am in no way affiliated with Driver Motorsport in any way. Also it may seem like I'm picking on APR but that is because I have four years of experience with.

Mods:
Carbonio Intake
3inch Exhaust
Autotech HPFP
Golf R IC

Additional Notes:
Could be a small boost leak somewhere

The Review

After running four years and nearly 50,000 miles on APR's tune I decided to go another direction. The few reviews on Driver Motorsport were intriguing and almost all positive. In addition I wasn't sure what turbo I would go with in the future and DM covers all the big one's and doesn't require injectors. So I pulled the trigger bought the Programmer plus the Stage 2+ file. Ill split this review up into two parts: One about the tune itself and one about the experience.

Part 1: Installation, Communication, Customer service.

Currently the whole process is done through email, and I sent promptly sent an invoice after Garrett@DM answered a few of my questions to satisfaction. After sending my money in, it took quite a while to get a reply back. It took nine business days and several emails to get the programmer shipped. I went up to Grand Rapids Michigan and got my APR tune taken off in the meantime at Community Automotive, where the technician couldn't wrap his head around why Id want to have another tune which I found funny. Great place otherwise though. When I got programmer, everything was packaged neatly. Included was the Programmer, the OBDII cable, and a USB cable. The instructions were online and very simple to understand. Basically you hook the programmer up to your car, it reads some information off of it, then you upload that to Driver Motorsport. That process took 15 minutes tops and the file was sent back at literally 12 PM lol. I swear they are nocturnal. Downloaded the file to my programmer, hooked it up to my car and it finished within 20 minutes. (At this point it was REALLY late so I waiting until tomorrow for the first impressions).

Part II: The tune, first and lasting impressions

From the first start (which deleted the cold start Woot Woot), the tune feels 100x better. On the way to work I didn't even go WOT, but I could still feel a HUGE difference at part throttle. Power is linear but much stronger (punchier even). Sound is much improved, lots of crackles and pops during shifts (but not as much during free-revving). After work it was sunny, 70 degree's and the perfect time to hoon a bit. My first WOT, it completely lit up second, chirped third and put a smile on my face bigger than I've ever had before. During highway runs and high-speed pulls boost went from 19 spikes and holding 15 on the APR tune to 21 psi spikes and holding 17-18 pounds on the DM tune. The power is much better BUT the even bigger thing is that the power stays on for way way longer. I'm confident in saying the DM tune would have put at least a car or two on my APR tune car. I can't be more happy with the tune and can't wait for K04/E47 madness.

**1000 mile update** Yep still pretty damn awesome. MPG is even up a noticeable amount. Only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

**2000 mile update** Rev-hang is MUCH better, nearly non-existent now.
Conclusion

The tune is 100x better than APR's file. While the total power can't be much different (maybe +5whp more tops) the power is way more broad and more accessible. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner; THAT BEING SAID, their customer service while good still takes too long. I understand that they may be short-staffed but the communication was pretty disappointing to me. The tune is awesome though, and I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I will post logs, unboxing videos and initial impression videos shortly. Cheers!

Last edited:

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
looking at their Stage 2+ chart, it says 264whp? That's in the 300+ bhp range!

hmmm..getting interested.

fastwire

Ready to race!
nice, Iam loving stage 1 alone. second gear is great, linear chirping tires it just pulls all the way is awesome

MKVDC10562

meow
Car(s)
2012 Golf R
I've had my stage 2 DM tune for almost 15,000 miles and I'm loving it. It's weird though that you only hold 17-19 psi because I spike to 24 psi and hold 19-21 psi and I'm running the 93 octane file by the way

Takumi

it doesn't care few PSI here and there if ECU reaches it's LOAD target. You should always log MAF readings and compare those, but not the boost.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
I've had my stage 2 DM tune for almost 15,000 miles and I'm loving it. It's weird though that you only hold 17-19 psi because I spike to 24 psi and hold 19-21 psi and I'm running the 93 octane file by the way

I put in the additional notes part that I am having boost leak issues/possible waste-gate issues.

Does DM have any dealers in Canada?

Not that I know of but you can get the programmer shipped to you which I what I recommend.

**edit** After 2000 miles on the tune I can also say that the rev hang is GREATLY improved, nearly non-existent now.

DC Dubber

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Currently the whole process is done through email, and I sent promptly sent an invoice after Garrett@DM answered a few of my questions to satisfaction. After sending my money in, it took quite a while to get a reply back. It took nine business days and several emails to get the programmer shipped.

How long did it actually take for you to receive the programmer? It's been nearly a month since I submitted payment and I haven't heard anything from DM at all.

fastwire

Ready to race!
How long did it actually take for you to receive the programmer? It's been nearly a month since I submitted payment and I haven't heard anything from DM at all.

my 2 cents

whe I did the payment then I didn't heard nothing for a week almost, no confirmation nada.

I sent emails and nothing. Then I started calling their phone and. o answers, I called like 200 times over a weekend lol. till Garrett finally answered lol.

He was very nice and then it passed like a week more when it finally arrived.

What I kinda understood, is that they wont rip u off with the money, but its not "the" customer phone number neither.
Its linda they have too much work and only 1 person working on the company at nights only. Its a great product with no customer support. i luv my dm tune

infamous

Ready to race!
My 2 cents:

I waited for a week after payment to receive an email from them about shipping the programmer. Never received one. I then emailed about when my programmer will ship then a couple days later got a shipping notice.

The tune itself is worth it. I am coming from APR Stage I and Stage II+ and can feel the difference from APR's tune. I've only driven about 60 miles on the tune and I'm grinning from ear to ear every time I accelerate. I am only on Stage I right now and I don't remember feeling this rush on APR's Stage I tune. APR stage I feels nice but DM's tune just feels a lot better from the butt dyno.

jad413

Ready to race!
I like my stage 1 a lot, but I have nothing to compare it to other than stock. I had a lot of problems after doing the tune but they were more "adding 30hp to a 130k mile car" problems than issues with the tune itself. I've been using Garrett and Bronson as my personal tech support and they helped me with a lot of things that weren't their problem at all. Planning on going stage 2 soon as I've sourced a downpipe and just waiting to hear back from them about what the differences are and when I can get the file. It's nice that it's free and I can do it in my driveway. The programmer works as an OBDII scanner as well.
When I first flashed I was getting 19-20 psi indicated on my Podi but was also going lean and getting fuel cuts. After replacing the HPFP I'm peaking 17 on high speed pulls, holding 15 and bleeding off to about 13 in the higher rpm.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited: