GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drain / Syphon Fuel on my MK5

liamb2001

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys, just had a call from my mrs telling me shes put £20 of unleaded in our MK5 diesel car, i told her not to drive or start it up and she hasnt and fortunatley its round the corner at my local petrol station.

I myself drained my old corrolla by unbolting a screw underneath but ive looked and cant seem to find anything on this car, ive also tried putting a long pipe down to syphon it but it doesnt seem to work apart from making my very light headed for 20 mins !!

I really DO NOT wanna fork out 180 quid which is what im being quoted from all these fuel doctors etc, PLEASE HELP !!!

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Women, just cant do a damn thing right lol

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Honestly, pay the money, if you fail, you will mess your car up and it will cost more.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How many liters is that? I would buy a liquids hand pump. I believe petro is much lighter than diesel fuel, so stick the hose down a little at a time, and you should be able to pump out most of the gasoline. Or just siphon out the whole tank and refill with diesel. A little gasoline won't hurt as long as it's mixed.

You run into problems when you are running pure diesel then suddenly get mostly petrol into the motor. That can blow the head gasket.

I don't think they put drain plugs in anymore. The only other choice to is remove the back seat and access the plug on the top of the tank you can siphon from there. I'm not sure you can drop the tank without accessing the top.

liamb2001

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the reply guys, £20 is about 13 litres and ive been told by the AA breakdown website that 5 litres of petrol in a diesel engine is perfectly fine on a diesel car (the car was just warning on empty yesterday with not much more usage) so with what i predict at the 15 litre empty stores (confirm if im wrong on this) i figure if i can suck out around 10 litres of petrol i should be ok to top up the full tank.

so can you confirm there is definitley a way of geting to the fuel tank from the back seats then ? because when i tried i couldnt get the seat up properly ...admitley it was starting to get dark and couldnt see a thing

Ive been reading stories of people putting 30% petrol and 70% diesel on work vans / cars and saying the car ran funny for a while but went back to normal saying its not as bad for a diesel engine to have petrol in the system as it is for petrol cars to have diesel in the engine ......i personally havent a clue !!

such a massive pain in the arse all this lot and i really do not fancy forking out 185 quid for something i could potentially do myself :(

How many liters is that? I would buy a liquids hand pump. I believe petro is much lighter than diesel fuel, so stick the hose down a little at a time, and you should be able to pump out most of the gasoline. Or just siphon out the whole tank and refill with diesel. A little gasoline won't hurt as long as it's mixed.

You run into problems when you are running pure diesel then suddenly get mostly petrol into the motor. That can blow the head gasket.

I don't think they put drain plugs in anymore. The only other choice to is remove the back seat and access the plug on the top of the tank you can siphon from there. I'm not sure you can drop the tank without accessing the top.

liamb2001

Passed Driver's Ed
managed to get to the fuel finally and trying to syphon the fuel but the flow just isnt working, i get a mouthfull put it down into the basin and it flows for a second then stops

anyone wanna give me some tips on syphoning ?

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
You did make sure the bucket or whatever your dumping it into is lower than the actual petrol tank right? It's not just the top of the tank, the level of the fuel tank to the ground would cause the issue your having, if that's the only thing wrong.

liamb2001

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah did try it but the flow didnt contiinue been using a fish tank hand pump for the last 3 hours and got around 15 litres of it pumped out, ive put it all back together and have been for two trips (on foot) the the petrol station to fill my 5L of petrol....i mean diesel lol ...shouldnt joke !!! i figure do it 2 more times then drive to the petrol station and top it right up to the brim !!!

does anyony know what the reserve tank is on a mk5 golf ?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
US versions don't have reserve tanks, like on motorcycles (do motorcycles still use them?)

Don't know about EU versions. Are you referring to the amount of fuel left when the low fuel light comes on? That's just telling you how much you have left - there's no separate tank inside.

Good to hear you were able to pump out the excess fuel. Did you unscrew the cap or just hook up to one of the fuel lines?

liamb2001

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah not exactly how i wanted to spend my sunday but hey, yeah the car was reporting empty the day before and wed done around 10 miles in it since then...the wife doesnt like going to petrol station ya see...in fact I DON'T like her going to petrol station any more lol !!!
so how much roughly is left in the tank when the warning light goes on then ? anyone know ? ive reasd on the MK4 that its 7 litres