GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

double clutching & heel toe braking

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
Okay, I'm going to try to clear up a little of the confusion that I sense going on.

- Rev-matching is simply "blipping" the throttle as you downshift.

- Double-declutching is the added step (during rev-matching) of putting the car in neutral, letting the clutch out before you "blip" the throttle, then pushing the clutch back in and re-engaging in a lower gear. (IMHO, it's not "dumb" even though it's not required in today's cars -- if you're the kind of person that insists on putting in 94 octane gas instead of 91 or 92 octane gas, or putting on Bridgestone S-03's just to cruise around town, then you should learn to double-declutch.)

- Heel/toe is the technique of doing either of the above under braking.

Rev-matching is better than nothing; double-declutching is better than rev-matching. For the most part, today's transmissions can handle the stress of downshifting without either technique in normal, everyday driving. But if you're going to drive your car 10/10ths all the time, or if you're at the track, it's important to at least rev-match to avoid upsetting the balance on your car. The last thing you want under max braking is for the car to jerk as you downshift, and rev-matching helps to avoid that.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
I never double clutch, just rev match. With synchros whats the point?

The only time Ive had to double clutch was when driving an old pickup truck...the tranny wouldnt downshift unless you double clutched.

I still cant get the hand of heel-toe driving. Its so hard with the way the accelerator is positioned.

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I never double clutch, just rev match. With synchros whats the point?

The only time Ive had to double clutch was when driving an old pickup truck...the tranny wouldnt downshift unless you double clutched.

I still cant get the hand of heel-toe driving. Its so hard with the way the accelerator is positioned.

In this car i think you really need to be on the brakes to be able to heel toe, which can be hard to try on the street.

AndorGLI

18 and i'll still take U!
Car(s)
VW MKV GLI
what the perpose of letting go of the clutch in neutrak for .2 of a sec?
to rev mach the rpms to the trans. rpm's?

gatorfast

man amongst boys
what the perpose of letting go of the clutch in neutrak for .2 of a sec?
to rev mach the rpms to the trans. rpm's?

Its easier on the gears. Cars without synchromesh require double clutching to downshift but on a GTI you can just put it straight in gear.

xyouthx

slow ass car
yeah I've been practicing heel toe for almost a week now, and starting to get it pretty dialed. haha....yay rant.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Thanks for this post. It helped clarify everything for me. The double clutching looks hard to do. I suppose practice makes perfect, but I won't bother on this car. I rev match my gears, but I think I'm going to have to start heel-toeing because when I rev match, yeah, I have to brake harder because you can't do both things at once.

murcielagoGTR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
91 GTI
on most modern cars there is no need to double clutch, unless you have like a full racing trans w/o syncros. rev matching and heel & toe should be fine, to keep the turbo spooled up and keep your momentum going. Double clutching is most needed on older cars, i.e. my Fiat benefits greatly from double clutching, as it has fairly weak syncros in 2nd and Reverse gears(from the factory) Unfortunatly Im not very skilled at doing this:iono: