GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Door lock issue

markslc1

2015 gti. All doors lock with the fob or door switch except passenger door. Some other details
- passenger door can be opened with the door handle just fine
- the door lock switch seems to work fine as it will lock the other 3 doors.
- the light on the door switch no longer lights up. ( because it can’t lock?)

Does this mean I need a new door latch mechanism? Other causes or things to check? Suggestions please. Thanks.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Open just that door. Do the overhead lights come on? There are microswitches in the door latch, that tell the door module whether the door is open or closed, or locked or unlocked. If you have a VCDS it will show if the latch is bad. I never noticed if the door switch lit up when I had bad latches, but if one of the microswitches is bad you'll know it by just one of the features not working. I never had more than one microswitch fail at a time. They're not that hard to install if you're handy and take your time. Probably find a Youtube video for it. I believe you need to remove the door skin on our cars, which is probably easier than older models, where you needed to remove the door card and just about gut the door to get at it.

markslc1

The ambient lighting in the doors (light strips) light up when opening that door. Does that mean it is not a microswitch issue?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That door is controlled by its own control module.....which is a a semi-slave to the driver door "master" control module.....

All the window closing, door locking, ambient lights etc for that door & controlled by the front passenger door control module...also the rear passenger door is "piggy-backed" of this door controller as well.

When you press the fob that signal goes to the main central convenience module & then to the door controllers...You say a light on the door switch doesn't work?..I don't get you what light were???

markslc1

Thanks for the context. As of right now. The passenger door does not lock at all. However, when I open the door the ambient light strip (the red light on the door in a GTI) does illuminate, making me think the car knows when the door is open or closed. I can also lock the car with the fob, and 3 doors will lock. Does that help narrow it down?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the context. As of right now. The passenger door does not lock at all. However, when I open the door the ambient light strip (the red light on the door in a GTI) does illuminate, making me think the car knows when the door is open or closed. I can also lock the car with the fob, and 3 doors will lock. Does that help narrow it down?

The door controller for that door (in the door) is working is so much as the door lock microswitch is sending the open/closed signal to the controller to activate the ambient lighting.....

The passenger door controller MUST be working for the rear passenger door to lock, as this piggy-backs its commands from the door controller in the front passenger door...

Must be the lock mech in the front passenger door.....try spraying some brake cleaner & q-tip in the catch, try to clean it out & then spray some wd-40 or white lithium grease in it..see if it works...

You really need VCDS or OBD-11 to read the fault codes that it will be generating in the door modules...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
have you opened up the door and tried unplugging/reseating the wire harness to the switch. That and a spray of electronic cleaner is what I would try 1st.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good idea, dave. Also, can you hear a hum? There's a solenoid that moves the lock in the latch.

I needed to replaced every door latch on my MK4 and MK5. Not a fun thing to do. Make sure you have the time, the tools, and good instructions or video if you're going to do it yourself. What does a latch cost now?

Last edited:

markslc1

I havent tried that yet
have you opened up the door and tried unplugging/reseating the wire harness to the switch. That and a spray of electronic cleaner is what I would try 1st.

I havent tried that yet. I have opened the door panel. Can you explain which plug/harness to inspect? I recall the interior door handle runs through a cable that goes to the latch, but it must be one of the other wires you are talking about.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Mark,

I haven't opened up the panel but assume there must be a connector at the lock switch assy and at the actuator for the lock mechanism. Try both (and any others you see!)

markslc1

Quick update. The lock suddenly started working. Perhaps because I was messing with the panel? This seems to point to a connection of some kind, instead of something being broken.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Is the lighted switch working properly too? You should still get a scan to see if there's a fault stored in the memory.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
so is this the micro switch issue on the side of the door lock? Cause I have a issue where everything works fine on the lock but I have a caution light on my dash for the driver door lock. When I look for code faults in vcds nothing shows up.

Attachments

• 20200114_073749.jpg
    20200114_073749.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 496