GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

door lock cylinder disassembly & Rekey

lebouzou

Hello,

I have a 2006 GTI, 2.0L turbo. The ignition lock has been changed and the only key I have does not open the door nor the glove compartment.

I have removed the lock cylinder ref.# 1K0-837-167 but can't seem to find a way to disassemble it to rekey it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Here is a pic of the lock

z3r0XG

Car(s)
2007 VW Jetta
I don't mean to resurrect this old thread (7 years later), but I'm in the same boat today (just bought an 07). Trying to rekey this thing, did you ever figure it out?

Cantabrigian

Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Same issue here. I managed to push and turn the plunger on the end, which appeared to be a locking mechanism. At that point I expected the tumbler to come out. I tried the slot on the perimeter of the chrome barrel and also the side access hole. But the barrel will not move. Strange that there are no answers on the web for this. May have to go to the scrap yard and buy a replacement and separate key

z3r0XG

Car(s)
2007 VW Jetta
I ended up drilling the pins out, replaced the crown and "plunger" but the crown would still not turn. Will need to replace.

Cantabrigian

Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Same here. Drilled out the pins and basically the brass wafers have welded themselves to the housing and every space is filled with hardened grease. Soaked in all kinds of solvent and finally had to burn out the grease to release the wafers and springs. But no amount of lubrication lets the wafers slide easily. So have to replace tumbler and resign myself to using a different door key..
Now I’m off to repair the wire harness in the door to get the central locking working again. Thought that German engineering would be better than this.....

Cantabrigian

Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Repairing it myself by splicing in new wire where the breaks have occurred.
A bit fiddly, but doable with inner and outer door skin off.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Same here. Drilled out the pins and basically the brass wafers have welded themselves to the housing and every space is filled with hardened grease. Soaked in all kinds of solvent and finally had to burn out the grease to release the wafers and springs. But no amount of lubrication lets the wafers slide easily. So have to replace tumbler and resign myself to using a different door key..
Now I’m off to repair the wire harness in the door to get the central locking working again. Thought that German engineering would be better than this.....
Why did you not order a door lock tumbler based on your Vin and keep the same one key.