GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does not start on first try

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Recently my 2008 GTI has not been starting on the first try in the morning – I would say it's probably about 60/40 that it starts on first try. The rest of the day the car will start up on first try however. Sometimes after starting up on the second try, the idle is slightly rough for a while, but it is fine once I start driving.

I use different brands of gasoline intermittently, all with the same type of start up behavior.

Only a few thousand miles until my car is out of warranty, so if there is a problem lurking around the corner I would like to get it fixed.

Car is stock except for APR stage 1 software.

What would cause a car not to start up on first try?

Elwood

3-7-77
I just read through pages and pages of a similar thread. The only thing that seems to make sense is fuel pressure. At least, a repair directed at increasing pressure on the rail solved the problem.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Does the dome lights come on when you open the driver's door?

On cold start opening the driver's door will prime the low pressure fuel pump. If you open the door and the lights don't come on, the pump is likely not priming either. There is some sort of communication error so the ECU does not prepare the system before you attempt to start the car. Because of this, the car will crank and may not start on the first try. If you instead put the key in, turn it forward one notch, listen for the pump to prime and then start you'll be fine.

Now, this should not be happening. As I said, there is some sort of communication error. It could be a bad control module in the door or, and this is really common, the wires between the door jam are all messed up. To see this, open the door, pull back the rubber hose shock absorber between the chasis and the door and see if the wires are all frayed and messed up. If they are, take that sucker in for service and get it replaced. Our VW/Audi techs at the shop and race team say it's a common problem. I have it on my own car.

-Arin

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
On cold start opening the driver's door will prime the low pressure fuel pump. If you open the door and the lights don't come on, the pump is likely not priming either. There is some sort of communication error so the ECU does not prepare the system before you attempt to start the car. Because of this, the car will crank and may not start on the first try. If you instead put the key in, turn it forward one notch, listen for the pump to prime and then start you'll be fine.

Now, this should not be happening. As I said, there is some sort of communication error. It could be a bad control module in the door or, and this is really common, the wires between the door jam are all messed up. To see this, open the door, pull back the rubber hose shock absorber between the chasis and the door and see if the wires are all frayed and messed up. If they are, take that sucker in for service and get it replaced. Our VW/Audi techs at the shop and race team say it's a common problem. I have it on my own car.

-Arin

Glad you mentioned that. That's probably what's wrong with my car. I moved the boot and the lights came on. I'll have to pul it back and look.

GorData

Ready to race!

-Arin

Arin, The dome light will only come on if the interior lights are set to come on, correct? or should they come on regardless?