GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do 18x8.5 tires fit on a mk5 GTI?

tista88

Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen GTI
I recently ordered Aodhan AH-X's (18x8.5). The car is sitting on lowering springs that drop it 2 inches. What size tires would be the best fit for these with minimal stretch and little to no rub?

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You may be better with more pos ET. I don't like to use a guide because amount of drop is relative to when manufactured and region/country it was sold.

Here is the states alone; the MK5 GTI was dropped from the '06 height in mid '07, and again in the '08 year. So, a guide that states an amount of drop cannot be accurate as there are three different starting points for the MK5 GTI. Is it 2" from the '06 height or 2" from the late '08 to '09 height???? Actual FTG(fender to ground-vertical measurement through the center of the wheel) is a measurement that is more helpful. With that said; The guide is close and gets you in the ballpark it seems.

However, you have a 2008. If it is after the drop that occurred in '08, you may want to consider the guide's tire recommendation for a 3" drop. Actually, it doesn't matter because the guide says 205/40-18 for 18x8.5 35et for both 2' and 3" drop. With the 18x8.5 wheel and a 205 tire...you will be stretching quite a bit. I imagine it in relation to mine to be like subtracting 20mm in tread width, then putting it on a wheel that is 1/2" wider...that is some stretch happening.

Mine is FTG; 23-7/8" to 24". I have 18x8 et45 with 225/40-18 yet I have no more room and had to push the front fender screw up and out of the way. I cannot slip my little finger between the rear wheel arch and tire. Even an 18x8.5 at 45 et would poke out another 6mm, and that wouldn't work for me with the tire I use. Also, the 225 is stretched a tiny bit...very tiny bit on my 8's. I have actually been thinking of switching to a 235.

If mine were the 8.5 wide and 35et you are inquiring about...they would stick the wheel and tire outward another 16mm. No way would it fit without stretching a 205 tire..and then that's iffy. Upgraded, both front and rear, ARB/swaybars would be needed. I have them, but you would need them to reduce roll yourself.

Last edited:

tista88

Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen GTI
You may be better with more pos ET. I don't like to use a guide because amount of drop is relative to when manufactured and region/country it was sold.
Here is the states alone; the MK5 GTI was dropped from the '06 height in mid '07, and again in the '08 year. So, a guide that states an amount of drop cannot be accurate as there are three different starting points for the MK5 GTI. Is it 2" from the '06 height or 2" from the late '08 to '09 height???? Actual FTG(fender to ground-vertical measurement through the center of the wheel) is a measurement that is more helpful.

Mine is FTG; 23-7/8" to 24". I have 18x8 et45 with 225/40-18 and I have no more room and had to push the front fender screw up and out of the way. I cannot slip my little finger between the rear wheel arch and tire. Even an 18x8.5 at 45 et would poke out another 6mm, and that wouldn't work for me with the tire I use. Also, the 225 is stretched a tiny bit...very tiny bit on my 8's. I have actually been thinking of switching to a 235.

If mine were the 8.5 wide and 35et you are inquiring about...they would stick the wheel and tire outward another 16mm. No way would it fit without stretching a 205 tire..and then that's iffy. Upgraded, both front and rear, ARB/swaybars would be needed. I have them, but you would need them to reduce roll yourself.

Wow man, that helps so much, love your car dude! Well then I've settled on getting 17x8 et35 advanti s1 wheels. These should definitely fit. Really appreciate your in-depth analysis/explanation!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Oh, of course...you're welcome.