GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Short Shifter Install

blkmagic2006gti

cincyperformance.com
Parts Needed
13mm Socket (3/8 drive or your preference)
Socket Wrench (3/8)
Small Pulley Puller
Pocket screwdriver
and what ever is needed for the engine cover removal.

First, Remove your engine cover following these steps in the following DIY http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365 or if you have an Aftermarket intake, remove it.

Secondly, Remove the clips on the front to back shift linkage (1) and the side to side shift linkage (2) with a small pocket screwdriver.

Now, You have to check if you have the correct Shift Linkage.
Im not sure on the production date break, But one of the shift linkage ends is bigger. You will need the one with the bigger hole. The Bigger one's part number is ############C It is $17 Through a Volkswagen Dealership.

Next, If you have to replace you stock linkage end. if you want take a permanent marker and mark where the linkage is, for when you put the new linkage on it will be close to being adjusted.

Then Pull back on the Front to back ((1)shown above) shift linkage end like shown and then slide off of cable.

Here is the stock cable end (Left) next to the cable end needed (Right)

Next take a 13 mm socket and wrench and remove the 13 mm nut.

Then take a small pulley puller and take the old shifter off.

Then take the new shift linkage end and put it on the cable where the permanent marker mark is.

Next, I found its easier to put the shifter on the transmission stud but dont line the splines up and first put the sliding plastic peice for the side to side in the new short shifter then match the splines up There is a flat part in the splines that needs to be lined up. Match up the flat part on the shifter and the stud then install.

Make sure the short shifter in installed all the way flush. Then install the 13 mm nut, the nut should be torqued down to approx 18 ft lbs.

Next reinstall Front to back and side to side linkages. and put clips back on. And there you go.

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
Great write up. Very well done. However I would suggest getting a neuspeed short shifter, you don't have to switch the linkage. I have one and I love it. JMHO

4wealn mkv GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure of the part # but it is the linkage on the 2002 vr6 6 spd Jetta GLI. That is the one I got for mine and fits great.

4wealn mkv GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it was the bigger diameter one. I would go and look at the part number on mine but I have left my car at the fiancee's house and I am not there.

Dr. Burgle

Ready to race!
Sorry to resurect an older thread but I had a question.
I was attempting to install a neuspeed short shifter today and I see in this DIY you must remove both the forward and side links. In Neuspeeds instructions it just says to remove the front-back links. I got those off and was pulling on the shifter and it seemed to not come out because it was still attached to the side to side. So I was trying to get the side-side clip off to take that linkage off and it got dark so I gott go back at it tomorrow morning.

Any help?

Thanks

johnnyg238

"Doc"
Car(s)
For now Honda V6 Acc
The side to side shifter is connected to the part you are replacing with a plastic piece in a groove. You should be able to use a little muscle to lift STRAIGHT up so that you essentially pull the shifter up while not messing up your teeth on the transmission. I also want to state that I was able to do all of this without taking off the engine cover...but I did have a ridiculously long socket wrench. ANYWAY, long story short, for neuspeed just detach front to back and pull straight up.

Dr. Burgle

Ready to race!
The side to side shifter is connected to the part you are replacing with a plastic piece in a groove. You should be able to use a little muscle to lift STRAIGHT up so that you essentially pull the shifter up while not messing up your teeth on the transmission. I also want to state that I was able to do all of this without taking off the engine cover...but I did have a ridiculously long socket wrench. ANYWAY, long story short, for neuspeed just detach front to back and pull straight up.

Thanks, I got it done this morning. I see where I could have not removed the engine cover cause I had a 8" extension but I did anyway. I took the front to back off and pulled up and got the stock off. The white piece on the side to side that goes in the groove came off and I was worried a little. I eventually got the neuspeed on and got the white piece of the side to side back in and all together again. Took a 10 miles test drive in the city and seems to be working fine. Feels really short and nice to shift. Just gotta get used to it now cause it is a big change from the stock shifter.

Thanks for the help and reasurring that I am not the only one that did it without removing the side to side

Dr. Burgle

Ready to race!
The stock front to back link comes out fairly easy. You just pull up on the metal piece in the middle then slide the whole connector off. Make sure you don't drop it down into the engine bay cause it'll take time to find it.

After you slide the piece off the front to back link will lift right off the shifter.

07Noside

Banned
Ok so I'm def missing something. I unhooked both links then undid the side to side bar from the front to back then unscrewed the nut holding the front to back in place. I tried pulling on it even used some wd40 and liquid wrench and it still won't budge.

07Noside

Banned
I can feel it if I wiggle it the center moves a bit but I keep pulling straight up and it doesn't budge a bit. I undid 3 clips and the one nut holding the shifter down. Is there anything else that isn't visible? The DIY says I need a small pulley puller but It should just slide off and I shouldn't need this tool if i just push down on the center rod and pull up on the shifter:mad0259: . I'm pretty mechanically inclined I've done lots of work on the car and I'm definately not weak haha.