GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Seat Drawer Install

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Tools Required:
  • 10mm Triple Square Socket (can be found on ZDMAK.com)
  • Rivet Gun
  • T-20 Torx
  • Cordless Screwdriver with ability to attached torx bit with extension (recommended)

Parts Required:
  • Seat Drawer Kit
  • 5 pcs. T-20 Torx screws (included with kit)
  • Bracket (included with kit)
  • 2 pcs. pop rivet

Install Time:
30-45 minutes

Attachments

• moveseat.jpg
    moveseat.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 44,663
  • moveseat2.jpg
    moveseat2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 42,327

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Attach bracket, then frame.

The screw holes on the bottom of the seat become more obvious, once the frame is put in place. Don't worry about the many, many other holes.

TIP! Using a cordless screwdriver (with torx bit attachment) to secure the frame is MUCH easier as you can apply pressure AND screw it in at the same time. Otherwise, trying to thread the holes with the screws is much more difficult.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 40,656
  • frameinstalled.jpg
    frameinstalled.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 40,594
Last edited:

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
YAY!

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Faerus said:
What are the dimensions of the drawer?

10" wide, 5" long, 2.5" deep

Has a 1.5kg weight limit (3.3 lbs.) molded on the drawer. Makes sense since anything really heavy would probably rip the screws out of the bottom of the seat.

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Scotaku said:
Really quick question...

Does the drawer latch shut? It looks like there may be a spring-loaded catch release on the drawer handle, but I cannot tell. Under hard braking at VIR, I could actually get the armrest to slide forward... I would hate it if the drawers did the same.

Yes, the drawer does latch shut. I didn't really study the release mechanism, but it seems pretty secure, especially if there is less than 3 lbs. of stuff in there.

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
bigdyno said:
did I miss the part number for the drawers?

Honestly, I don't think anyone posted them (I don't know them).

OEMPL.US sells it for $89/side.

Hillside Imports (when their site works) sells for around $75/side (if I remember)

There were 2 specific p/ns on the parts (one of the frame, one on the draw itself) but I'm sure there is a single part number for the assembly.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Excellent write up with great pics... :coolpics:

So what sort of stuff can you fit in there now?? I'm thinking a wallet, ipod and that's about it??

Fortunately, our GTI's come with the little mini glove box under the light switch, so I'll wait and see if that provides enough storage. If not, this under seat drawer looks like a great OEM install. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great write up. :respekt: