GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Removing side mirror housing and side mirror lens

Vins25

Dump Valve 7000RPM
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
Thank you so much man , cracked the glass of my lens , gonna get a new one now and replace it :)

Rafał

Where's that tab?!

EDIT: Nevermind, I have finally untabbed it (kinda hard with a scewdriver) and successful completed installation. Thanks for the DIY!

Last edited:

Pablos007

GTi Black Magic...
Car(s)
GTI
Great write up. Thanks.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Bumptastic. Bought a set of smoked Mirror Blinkers 3 weeks ago and just now got around to installing them. This DIY is as flawless as they come. First side took about 25 minutes taking my time (IE - worrying too much about breaking the clips) and then the second side took me all of 10 minutes. Thanks OP. :thumbup:

penpal

Srs Bzns
Car(s)
07 GTI , 12 R, 18 R
This diy takes off more then is required, the motor doesn't need to be removed. Also I'd pop the mirror housing off first before touching the mirror. It makes it much easier and less of a chance of cracking the mirror when taking it off.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Yeah, I realized after I did the first mirror that I could just take out the screws holding on the mirror blinker and casing around it and get it out that way. That's why the second one took so little time lol. However I managed to get the glass off very easily with a big flathead screwdriver. I just applied very little pressure until I heart a pop and gently moved over a half inch or so to the left and then to the right and once you get it going it all comes off easily.

The hardest part for me was getting those little red and blue clips off the mirror itself. Mine had obviously never been touched since it came from the factory and were a PITA till I took a tiny watch flathead screwdriver to coax them off.

Casual.GTI

Banned
Car(s)
07 GTI
doing it right now...decided to work around the motor cause i couldn't untab it....but now i can't get the dam oem off the signal! do i squeeze it? or just pull hard by the wires?

edit: nvm got that fucker out

Last edited: