GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY removing rear breather tube check valve for BSH PCV revamp

Car(s)
2008 GTI
I dont think there are too many people with failing rear check valves. Its pretty simple after all. Either the rear pcv will be completely plugged or there will be no putting sound. I'm no expert, but I think a catch can eliminates the front and rear check valves completely.

I'm not an expert either but I know mine has a small leak because oil drips from it.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just swapped mine out and it had clearly failed. It was loaded with oil. Pretty easy swap too. 1/4 ratchet with a 10" extension and you're in good shape.

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
anyone have any tips to doing this? i just ordered the bsh pcv block off, might as well do this if its all apart already...

If by apart you mean the stock air box is off then sure you may save some time, but its on the back of the engine, away from the front PCV. Tip: get creative with your tools. I used a multitude of different combinations to get to the one bolt. I ended up using a 1/4" wrench and the torx bit to get it off.

JPK

I am currently chasing an intermittent idle issue. I have replaced almost everything else I can think of and this is on of the last items left. I currently have a BSH PCV fix. If my current breather tube is shot/leaking would it cause a mild idlng issue? Am I wasting my money buying this part and hoping it rectifies my idling issue?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Bookmarked.

Has anyone had a misfire issue that they were able to fix by replacing the rear pcv or getting rid of the check valve?

Avoih

Passed Driver's Ed
I tried removing my rear breather tube and found this. It doesn't look anything like your check valve. After installing my 42DD Ultimate Catch Can over this weekend my intake is now making a "jackhammer" type sound like others have complained about.

How do I get rid of the noise if I can't remove the check valve? It's a hard plastic all around the valve, which seems to be protected by a plastic shroud.

Any ideas? As I'm getting annoyed of this new sound :(

Attachments

• Rear Breather Check Valve.jpg
    Rear Breather Check Valve.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,144

michail77

Go Kart Champion
That is exactly what mine looked like. I noticed mine looked different compared to the other pictures too. I took a small screw driver (eyeglass size), positioned more to the center on the orange part and then hit it with a hammer a few times. It will come off. Don't hit the black plastic.

I think this valve must be the one that does more of the jackhammer sound vs. the put. Mine was no put put sound.

Last edited:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
That is exactly what mine looked like. I noticed mine looked different compared to the other pictures too. I took a small screw driver (eyeglass size), positioned more to the center on the orange part and then hit it with a hammer a few times. It will come off. Don't hit the black plastic..

How does the check valve assembly come out without getting stuck in the tube? Does it fall out through the bottom easily enough or do you have to encourage it with a bit of coat hanger or something?

Avoih

Passed Driver's Ed
That is exactly what mine looked like. I noticed mine looked different compared to the other pictures too. I took a small screw driver (eyeglass size), positioned more to the center on the orange part and then hit it with a hammer a few times. It will come off. Don't hit the black plastic.

I think this valve must be the one that does more of the jackhammer sound vs. the put. Mine was no put put sound.

So you're saying hit it where I marked on the picture. Aimed "towards" the center of the orange part?

Attachments

• Rear Breather Check Valve2.jpg
    Rear Breather Check Valve2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,179

Avoih

Passed Driver's Ed
Just out of curiosity, what year is your car and is it a GTI or GLI? I've seen 2008s with the other type of check valve and I think the 2006s tended to not have them.

My car is a 2008 FSI motor. I replaced the rear tube about a year ago, 5-6 months AFTER my APR Stage 1 tune.

I replaced it with this kit (http://www.urotuning.com/UroTuning-OEM-Breather-Update-Kit-Mk5-2-0T-FSi-p/pcv_kit_mk5_fsi.htm), after my car started having the idle problem most have. Where it would rev up and down while idle on its own.

But I can't remember what kind of valve I had. I WANT to say it's the exact same. I looked in my extra parts box just in case something fails I can replace with an older one that I've upgraded to a newer setup, like the entire PCV system I overhauled; however, I couldn't find it. :(