GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Removing Engine Cover

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Credit goes to syntrix for the write-up and all pics. :clap:

I had a little issue today that I had to troubleshoot, so I took some pics. I think there's some general directions, but here's details with pics:

1. Unclip the two metal clips.
2. Unclip the MAF sensor and pull out of the way.
3. Undo the air intake or undo the clip right behind the box area.
X. Pull. Cuss. Repeat. After a few attempts, pull harder and wiggle cover out.

These are the mount points (4 of them) on the engine. If there are any rubber pieces on the posts, pull them off and put them in the cover before re-assy.

And here's the underside of the cover showing the mount points:

Right after the cover comes off, locate all 4 rubber pieces. I lost the front passenger side, and it went under the intake. That was so much fun trying to find it!!!!
Anyway, hope that helps everyone that needs to get under that fancy plastic cover.

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Can you repost the pictures? they aren't showing up on my computer...at all, and i really dont think its on my end...

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
I'm trying to take off just the center grey piece, but I can't seem to do it. Will those little grey things in the center(there's two of them) break? Will I be able to reuse it? Thanks.

SoCalComatose

Booyahkasha Respekt!
Car(s)
2004 R32
Damn, I was gonna do it. But the thing I learned when putting it back on is to have the rubber pieces on the cover first, then replace it.

A tip: A bit of soapy water on the inside/outside of the grommets can make putting them in the cover and reinstalling it easier.

AndorGLI

18 and i'll still take U!
Car(s)
VW MKV GLI
ya i got the front of the center gray piece of but i cant seem to get it back on. your saying soap and water will help?

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Can someone tell me how to remove the intake (#3) part out? Do I have to unscrew the two silver screw things on the sides of the box/funnel? Or...? I might have to look at it again, but when I tried today it wouldn't pop off? :iono:

primus2211

Passed Driver's Ed
Can someone tell me how to remove the intake (#3) part out? Do I have to unscrew the two silver screw things on the sides of the box/funnel? Or...? I might have to look at it again, but when I tried today it wouldn't pop off? :iono:

2 options:

1) As u mentioned, remove the 2 torx screw and the front end of the intake.

2) 2nd option is to use a plier and loosen the metal clamp on the hose midway along intake.

Option #1 is easier if you have the right screwdriver. Do be careful about the 2 metal sleeves there because if that falls off, you're gonna have hard time retrieving them from the undertray.

In the event that happens, I find that the easiest to remove any screws or component that falls off on the front undertray is to give it a couple of good smack. The piece will inadvertantly fall off one of the holes onto the ground. :biggrin: