GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Removing Engine Cover

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
Just grab it and pull really hard, doesnt matter if you break it. Cause it looks gay anyway. get an intake so you don't need that engine cover.

engine covers FTL

YES! if you want to void the warranty... If your warranty is up, GO FOR IT!

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
^^^^ Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this old DIY with my experience. This above comment was more helpful than any of the others. I spent about an hour following the other DIY for this...everyone says grab the sides and just pull...don't yank. Well that didn't work for me. Once I took a break to research more online, I saw the above comment, so I decided to attack this differently. I first removed the clamp that holds on the intake hose/tube so I could take that off - more room for my hands to pull on the cover. I started on the lower right corner by where the intake hose would have been. After pulling on it steady for about 15 seconds...it popped off! I spent an hour before just pulling on both sides at the same time. My back and fingers are killing me! Once the front popped off, the rear right corner just popped off too. I then started on the front left, and it came off on the second try of pulling. The rear left side was super easy after that. So now that I had it off, I swapped out the filter with a new K&N. I followed the above suggestion to put soapy water on the rubber grommets, and this worked perfectly! No struggle at all to get the cover back on...it just snapped on with little effort.
I was very close to giving up on this...but the persistence paid off. I'm sure I could have it off in 20 minutes tops next time.
So just to recap...take in all the information at the beginning of this thread...know where the connection points are under the cover. My useful tips are:
* remove the clamp and intake hose/tube first to make room for your hands/fingers.
* start pulling with both hands on the bottom right side next to where the intake tube would be. Once it pops off, try the rear right side. Then start on the bottom left side with both hands. Last is the rear left side.
Once you get the first corner off, the rest are easy.
* get a cup of soapy water and a rag. Put the soap on the inside of the rubber grommets before trying to put the cover back on the engine. It'll just snap on after that.
Hope this helps anyone that's close to the point of quitting...Like I was.
Cheers...
:thumbsup:

If that is not an option, I found that keeping the grommets in the engine cover helps... The posts go into the grommets easier than the grommets go into the cover....

:wink:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Probably not much is my guess. In any case, the stock intake filter is in the (FSI) engine cover, so you can't remove it unless you get an aftermarket intake/filter.

N8_DUB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 6spd
Probably not much is my guess. In any case, the stock intake filter is in the (FSI) engine cover, so you can't remove it unless you get an aftermarket intake/filter.

Only other option (I don't recommend if you are still under warranty) is cutting the middle part of the engine cover off, leaving the air intake peice of it on the car... Only thing is, you would need to mount the intake half to the engine where an aftermarket CAI would bolt on... And there are not any mounts built into the engine cover to do this (you would have to not only cut and fit this yourself, but you would have to come up with a way to mount that intake housing)...

Summary:

NOT WORTH IT!!! It most likely won't even reduce the heat on your engine enough to be worth the effort.... :thumbsup:

V-VWMK-5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
3-Door MkV Golf GTI
i found that pulling the top right one first works best, the engine cover is very rigid in this spot and its probs the best point to start? i had to get my leg up on the suspension strut to push off using some leg power! haha it looked like i was boning my engine! :p

i just installed my evoms kit, the biggest PAIN IN THE ASS was undoing the that metal clip that attaches the black hosing onto the turbo!

str8edg

Passed Driver's Ed
Great write up... in prep for my 2nd mod, this was a great how to and easy to do!

Good stuff!

Morrow

Thanks for this.

I was afraid I was going to break something having to pull on it that hard so came and read this to make sure I was doing it right.

Another reason to install a cold air intake.