GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Removing Engine Cover

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Thanks man. What do most of you guys do or prefer? Removing the screws or the clip? :iono: Can't the screws be removed with an allen wrench or something?

primus2211

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks man. What do most of you guys do or prefer? Removing the screws or the clip? :iono: Can't the screws be removed with an allen wrench or something?

Both ways are OK. Screws, you may be able to get away with an allen key of the right size as the screws are not that tight. Once you get that out, for easy removal in the future, change em to normal screws.

Prince GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank for a great write up! It helped me install my EVOMS intake

:thumbup:

LasVegas

Don't h8 Me Cuz I'm Stock
I read somewhere that it's easier to do one side at a time. Pull up on the right side first and the left side comes out easier. Pull at the places marked by the "X"s. You can pull like hell on the right side but be careful on the left side because it's not as rigid.

Thanks for the write-up! :clap:

blackgti06

"My Fast"
Car(s)
2006 MKV Gti
anyone wanna sell their engine cover to me?

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI
I read somewhere that it's easier to do one side at a time. Pull up on the right side first and the left side comes out easier. Pull at the places marked by the "X"s. You can pull like hell on the right side but be careful on the left side because it's not as rigid.
Thanks for the write-up! :clap:
Is that right side you facing the car or right side (medical right) - as if from the perspective of the car.

- M -

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
How the hell do you remove the center gray piece to paint? I cut myself trying and it wouldn't budge... stupid tabs. :mad:

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
I've had the hardest time removing it. It won't detach from the TI hose >_<

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Nevermind, I used a cardboard cutter and sliced the tabs off from the back. It still snaps on fine. :smile:

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
I read somewhere that it's easier to do one side at a time. Pull up on the right side first and the left side comes out easier. Pull at the places marked by the "X"s. You can pull like hell on the right side but be careful on the left side because it's not as rigid....

He's totally right. I'd do the lower right first (nearest to the intake opening), then the lower left. Finally, do the two upper ones at the same time. Once you look at the rubber mounts, you'll know how strong you need to pull (but steady without yanking).

Wear some mechanics gloves because your finger can get torn-up the metal parts beneath the cover.

Also, it's pretty damn hard to get it back on--so, use some rubber grease or lubricant. It will help. Install the top (rear) portion of the cover first then do the lower left and finally the lower right side. Make sure you get the rubber gasket around the oil cap right before you put the cover back too!

BTW, if you don't need to swap out the air filter, DON'T. It's not worth the trouble. Mine was pretty damn clean after 22,000 miles (I live in the midwest). Also, IMHO, aftermarket intakes have no significant improvement on performance because the stock is designed so well---and also because this is a turbo charged engine. Your money is better spent on an ECU upgrade and/or new exhaust system.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
^^^^ Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this old DIY with my experience. This above comment was more helpful than any of the others. I spent about an hour following the other DIY for this...everyone says grab the sides and just pull...don't yank. Well that didn't work for me. Once I took a break to research more online, I saw the above comment, so I decided to attack this differently. I first removed the clamp that holds on the intake hose/tube so I could take that off - more room for my hands to pull on the cover. I started on the lower right corner by where the intake hose would have been. After pulling on it steady for about 15 seconds...it popped off! I spent an hour before just pulling on both sides at the same time. My back and fingers are killing me! Once the front popped off, the rear right corner just popped off too. I then started on the front left, and it came off on the second try of pulling. The rear left side was super easy after that. So now that I had it off, I swapped out the filter with a new K&N. I followed the above suggestion to put soapy water on the rubber grommets, and this worked perfectly! No struggle at all to get the cover back on...it just snapped on with little effort.
I was very close to giving up on this...but the persistence paid off. I'm sure I could have it off in 20 minutes tops next time.
So just to recap...take in all the information at the beginning of this thread...know where the connection points are under the cover. My useful tips are:
* remove the clamp and intake hose/tube first to make room for your hands/fingers.
* start pulling with both hands on the bottom right side next to where the intake tube would be. Once it pops off, try the rear right side. Then start on the bottom left side with both hands. Last is the rear left side.
Once you get the first corner off, the rest are easy.
* get a cup of soapy water and a rag. Put the soap on the inside of the rubber grommets before trying to put the cover back on the engine. It'll just snap on after that.
Hope this helps anyone that's close to the point of quitting...Like I was.
Cheers...
:thumbsup:

wilytech

Ready to race!
I found that pulling from the bottom left first is best but that's me. Maybe the right is the same but I could reach right under and feel the grommet thing and exactly where to pull

PyRo H4cKeR

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
10 MK6 GTI 6MT
Just grab it and pull really hard, doesnt matter if you break it. Cause it looks gay anyway. get an intake so you don't need that engine cover.

engine covers FTL

Orotaro

Movingatthespeedoflight
off-topic, but does anyone know the part number to the four rubber piece attached to the ball joint and engine cover??? i tried looking at the oem VW part number thread.no luck.