GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - R32 Lights Install

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Reprinted with 4string's permission:

Finally finished getting my R32 tail lights working in my 2006 GTI. Very easy to install the light assemblies in the body and the hatch. Since I am not using a rear fog light I removed the left inner lens light socket assembly from the R32 tail light which is held in by 3 screws and removed the red lens from the R32 left inner tail light and and exchanged it with the clear lens from the old GTI tail light. The red lens just snaps out and just snap in the clear one. The most tedious task is rewiring the outer light assembly's multiplug connectors. In order to get the tail lights functioning properly you need either a VAG 5052/5051 or a VAG-COM to alter the Long Coding of the Central Electrics Controller. I will display the Long Coding I used by it may differ from the coding for individual cars. I am using the front foglights as my DRLs instead of the HID bulbs as the DRLs. Below is the coding I am using. Make sure you record your original Long Coding before attempting to make any changes to the Central Electrics Controller.Here is the Long Coding I'm using:
07 8F 8F 06 40 04 18 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 77 0B 5C 00 00

You will need 2 wire terminals to insert into the multiplug terminal housings for the outboard rear light assemblies. The terminals you can get at the VW dealer and the terminals will have a short piece of wire crimped onto them that you can splice onto the original harness.
The part number for the wiring terminal is:
000 979 141
What is important is the wiring colors for the right and left side of the car are different. As long as you concentrate on which cavity in the multiplug connector that the correct designated wire is inserted into as shown in my photos you won't have any problems.
Here are the DIY steps to do this mod.........I hope it isn't too vague.

The inner tail lights are the easiest to do. Open the hatch and on each side of the hatch there are small trim panels that you can pry off to access the nuts and wiring connectors. Remove the connectors and the nuts, detach lens from hatch and reinstall R32 inner tail lights in the reverse order. Fairly straightforward procedure.

Now for the real work.................

Once the plastic nuts are removed you can just pull the outer tail light away from the body, then install the new R32 outer tail light in the reverse order.

The wiring modification for the left outer tail light is exactly the same as the right side outer tail light. Just focus on the terminal designations in the connector housings.

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between the stock lights and the R32 lights? They look pretty much the same as the ones on my car.

Faerus

Autocross Newbie
bigdyno said:
forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between the stock lights and the R32 lights? They look pretty much the same as the ones on my car.
They are much darker and I believe it has an amber turn signal in the middle instead of the side of the red blinking.

Supratgti

GTI Sold

GTI2007

bigdyno said:

Here are pics to show it to you. First one are the R32 taillights. Second one are the regular GTI taillights.

Attachments

• 701199.jpg
    701199.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 28,994

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
bigdyno said:

as i think someone else already said...they are darker, and you get the yellow left/right turn signal lights in the center

ACgolf

Formula One Champion
MKVboi said:
Do I need to get her Vag-Com'ed even it's without the rear fogs?

You have two options:

1. You can install the tail lamps and then swap the red rear fog lens with the us white lens so you get two reverse lights. After you just install them you can simply just plug and play. But this will not allow you to have the amber signaling. Your light configuration will just simply be the NA-spec configuration (as in the half circle red signaling). So this option only allow you to have the smoke tail light looks but still with NA-spec light config.

2. You can install the tail lamps and then follow the DIY thread on the rewiring and then vagcom it with the long code provided. Then you will get the looks and the Euro-spec light configuration. And YES, you will need vagcom to get this to work properly. If you just rewired it and leave it, the lights will not function properly. It will be all messed up; ie, when you brake your brake lights come on but so does the turn signals on both side. I had this problem myself before I vagcom-ed it.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Edit: If you just simply follow the DIY on this thread you will not get rear fog. You need to refer to another DIY thread regarding rear fog setup.

MKVboi

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Koo buddy! Thnx so much. I prefer the half circle signal lamps. But what does the Euro setup look like? Are they amber instead of red?

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
looks good, not sure if I would spend that much on it, but it does look very good