GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Oil Change on GTI (without Oil Drain Tool)

robdj

Installed the Qwik Valve F106SW Integrated valve ( no adapter needed for the recessed drain plug ) feels solid . No leaks ....can't wait 'till the next oil change . I tried pushing the orange nipple but didn't wanna budge on the filter housing & didn't wanna force anything & screw it up so.........I just did it the 'ol fashioned way screwed the housing off .....a bit of a mess .

Morrow

Really disappointed in VW on this one. I've praised their simplicity on many designs but they really dropped the ball here. You shouldn't have to remove a cover just to do an oil change. That's dumb.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Really disappointed in VW on this one. I've praised their simplicity on many designs but they really dropped the ball here. You shouldn't have to remove a cover just to do an oil change. That's dumb.

You should see how the V8 Touareg's are. Double the amount of screws to remove lol

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I have a question for those on this really old thread.........I've searched but didn't hope to go through all 19 pages.

I know the torque for the oil filter cup torque is 25 Nm (18 lb*ft)...this is the 36 mm.
But I am finding conflicting numbers for the oil drain bolt.

Documentation I have has a suspiciously low torque of 15 Nm (11 lb*ft), but everything I find stating otherwise says it is 30 Nm (22 lb*ft).

Here is what I have...but can anyone confirm it is not 15 Nm and is in fact 30 Nm?
aa.png

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I am seeing 30Nm for the drain plug from the docs I have, the only ones that show less torque came from 2 of the 3 VW / Audi little spec booklets I have at 15Nm, so 5 of 7 call out 30Nm for drain plug.