GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY intank fuel pump removal

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Flat head and a hammer.

In a pinch, that works, but you don't know whether its tight enough - if it isn't, fuel will seep. Try to find someone local who has the T10202 tool and make sure its torqued to 80 ft-lb. The tool is about $45.

You can see on the bottom how it hooks the ring.

foolishfreeheel

Yeah. I had fuel cuts when driving for a long time in the heat. Also had to change out the fuel pressure sensor attached to the hpfp.

Did you remember what your CEL codes were?
I've had a similar situation happen at high speeds in hot weather and brief fuel cut occurs. The CEL came on then then disappeared the next day. The code was P2293 and from previous research leads me to believe it is the cam fallower.

Any thoughts?
'06 GTI DSG 55k miles

red.07.gti

Did you remember what your CEL codes were?
I've had a similar situation happen at high speeds in hot weather and brief fuel cut occurs. The CEL came on then then disappeared the next day. The code was P2293 and from previous research leads me to believe it is the cam fallower.

Any thoughts?
'06 GTI DSG 55k miles

I had a cam follower go, bottom of it blew out, cam lobe snapped pump shaft.... the result is not intermittent. Also you could audibly hear something wasn't right, I'll refer to it as "crickets" under the hood. It doesn't sound as if yours has failed, it wouldn't hurt to check it for wear. Good news VW has extended the warranty to 10yrs/120k. unfortunately my mileage was over. Bad news they only cover it, if it fails. Don't no if this info will help you or scare you, but it doesn't sound like the cam follower issue I had.

On another note I did swap out the LPFP (in tank) and fuel filter and it is a fairly easy job.

BunkerBeezy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
little cw car
i was looking on ecs and there is the OEM brand and VEMO but both have the revised part # which should i get also to replace when doing this install? :thumbsup:

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Pics aren't working, can you fix please?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Bump. Thanks for the how-to. Bookmarking this...

fwiw you don't have to take the back seat cushion all the way out.

Just pop the front catches out, then wiggle the side catches out (sort of a forward-backward-lift motion - I forget), then push it up against the seat back, pull the shoulder belts over it, and loop them around the head rests.

i also had to replace my lpfp and control unit due to bad fuel cuts on hot days.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
fwiw you don't have to take the back seat cushion all the way out.

Just pop the front catches out, then wiggle the side catches out (sort of a forward-backward-lift motion - I forget), then push it up against the seat back, pull the shoulder belts over it, and loop them around the head rests.

i also had to replace my lpfp and control unit due to bad fuel cuts on hot days.
I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for adding these steps.

I just priced out a replacement lpfp at the dealership. Seems they can get me one for within $20 of ECS's price so I might be pulling the trigger on one soon, depending on what Bronson @DM says about my logs.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Let me know how this goes... I may be in the same boat as you. Ughhh.

Will do. I've been following your ordeal and believe me, I can relate. These cars have so many possible leak sources, sensors, etc....a million variables that can cause issues. :frown:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Bump. I got an R32 in-tank pump as a replacement for my lpfp. I'm going to attempt to replace it today. Nervous as hell, but I'm hoping it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm going to have to remember not to smoke any butts while doing this job. :thumbsup:

I'll update this thread if I have any new suggestions to add.