GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: GHL Exhaust

blkmagic2006gti

cincyperformance.com
Installation instruction for GHL Exhaust
Tools Needed 13mm,14mm,16mm sockets, Prybar, O2 Sensor tool, Stubby 16mm wrench
Install time 2hrs. (partially because working with jackstands sucks lol and it was 9 degrees)
Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YNazmncDo0

1. Unbolt the clamp connecting the Downpipe with 2-13mm from the rear section.

2. Separate rear section from down pipe.

3. Unbolt four bolts to remove the tunnel brace.

4. Remove the bracket bolt by the resonator (2-13mm bolts). Remove rubber from hanger when convenient..

5. Soak both the left rubber hangers on the rear section with Wd-40 or your choice or spray lubricant.

6. Take the prybar or whichever tool your prefer and on the rear section remove both left hanger out of the rubber. Take the bolts out of the bracket on the right on the rear section. (2-13mm). Remove rubber from stock exhaust.

7. Pull out old exhaust.

8. Remove the axle splash shield.( 2-16mm) ( this allows you more room to get to the nuts on the turbo.)

9. Remove the post Cat 02 Sensor with the 02 Sensor Tool.

10. Remove the Pre-cat 02 Sensor.

11. Unbolt the Downpipe from the turbo There will be four 16 mm nuts. ( The nut that is closest to the engine block, I used a stubby 16mm wrench to get to it.)(You can go from the top to get these nuts off, but its easier from underneath)

12. Remove the 2-13mm bolts on the bracket holding up the Downpipe.

13. Unbolt the two tunnel supports, by removing 4-13mm bolts on each.

14. Pull out the old down pipe.

15. Set the New Downpipe in place ( I reused the stock Gasket)

16. Reinstall the closest tunnel support to the front to give some
support while you are bolting the down pipe to the turbo. (4-13mm bolts)

17. Then Install the next tunnel support.

18. Tightened the 16mm nuts on the Downpipe to the turbo.

19. Reinstall the Pre-cat 02 Sensor.

20. Reinstall the post 02 Sensor.

21. Reinstall the axle splash shield. (2-16mm bolts)

22. Put a clamp on the down pipe.

23. put either the straight pipe or the resonator on the Downpipe.

24. Bolt up the bracket for the pipe with the resonator (2-13mm) ( The gas tank bracket goes on top of the black bracket)

25. Put the pipe w/ the resonator metal hanger in the rubber hangers bracket you just bolted up. And then put the other metal hanger in the next rubber hanger.

26. Put the clamp on the pipe and then slide the straight pipe/Resonator and the rear resonator section together.

27. Bolt up the last tunnel support.

28. Tighten both clamps with the 14mm Deep well socket.

29. Install the rubber hanger bracket you unbolted from the rear and then slide the rear section into the remaining rubber hangers.

30. Put a clamp over the rear section, then slide the rear section and the rear resonator pipe together.

31. Tighten the clamp with the 14mm deep well socket.

32. The bracket up front holding up the Downpipe was not needed for reinstallation. I put the 13mm bolts back into the stock location. Lower the car, and enjoy.

Last edited:

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
Wow.... That is about a PERFECT install write up. Nice work

Raphael

SKEET! SKEET! SKEET!
Car(s)
2011 Evolution X
Nice write up. How long did it take you to install the system

blkmagic2006gti

cincyperformance.com
i knew i forgot something lol, it took 2 hours. I edited it and put it up top, for future reference.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Wow, I'll bet your neighbors absolutely love you.:laugh: It sounds just as loud as taking that center clamp off that "deletes" the resonator and the muffler, except that yours exits the rear of the car and not the center. It's kind of comparable though if all you have is a straight pipe from the cats. Or is there a muffler/resonator too? Also, how's the EIP short shifter?

Raphael

SKEET! SKEET! SKEET!
Car(s)
2011 Evolution X
Wow, I'll bet your neighbors absolutely love you.:laugh: It sounds just as loud as taking that center clamp off that "deletes" the resonator and the muffler, except that yours exits the rear of the car and not the center. It's kind of comparable though if all you have is a straight pipe from the cats. Or is there a muffler/resonator too? Also, how's the EIP short shifter?

its prob louder then that cause the two big cats. are are replace with one high flow one.

blkmagic2006gti

cincyperformance.com
The Eip Tuning Short Shifter is amazing!!, I definetly Recommed the shifter. The ghl exhaust is awesome too. These are THE BEST choices in my opinion

shmeeg

monkey with a hand cannon
Car(s)
07 RS GTI
hey how do you like the ghl a couple months after having it? does it still sound the same as when it was brand new? im thinkin about gettin this one in the next month or so.

Lostep

how do you modify your bumper for dual exhaust?

Lostep

suggestions?

i just got a GTI, coming from a 350z... and it seems like i cant even find products for it on the internet, even if i do... i dont know anything about them and this site doesn't have enough information about the products neither...

help? please?

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
Its a sticky at the top of the for sale/wanted forum..

I think you'll get your fill HERE

blkmagic2006gti

cincyperformance.com
The ghl exhaust is still loud. It still sounds real good. I have gotten an intercooler since then and now it sounds a little different.

about the rear bumper thing, i just spray painted my stock bumper and then cut out the holes with my pocket knife :bellyroll:

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
You forgot to mention how impossible it is to get the downpipe off. :p My friend and I had so much trouble with the downpipe bolts and the pre cat o2 sensor. We're gonna continue tomorrow morning (After about 3.5 hours). Great write up though, it helped a lot. We still need to get one downpipe bolt off and the o2 sensor, we're gonna continue tomorrow bright and early at 9 AM.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Now maybe some tips? Whats the easiest way of getting all the bolts off and getting the 02 sensor out? Do you need an actual o2 sensor tool or will another common tool/wrench work?