GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Amber Singals

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
like wombat, i too bought the euro holders and bulbs new. When I swapped them, and then coded them by switching byte 13 from 14 to 00, it didn't do anything. Has anybody else had this issue? There has to be a way to code it properly, I'm just frustrated as there doesn't seem to be anything in the 09 Central Electronics module that addresses the euro holders.

Anyone in UK/Europe that could post their long coding? I don't have mine at the moment as its on my home laptop.
Have you added the fourth wire for each taillight?
NAR a5g (mk5 Rabbit, GTi,r32) cars are only supplied with three wires to each tail light.
ROW a5g are supplied with four.
So if you change your coding to ROW settings
without adding the fourth wire and re-pinning to ROW specs,
you would expect a Bulb Out to occur.
:iono:

VWTiger

I am the Stig
I guess the 4th wire is the missing piece to my puzzle. I do have a bulb out error for the turn signals.

So if I understand correctly, by modifying the holders as described in this thread, it is turning 2 inputs and a ground into 3 inputs and a ground. Where NA only supplies the 3 wires and ROW supplies 4. So now, by coding it to say "hey look for 3 inputs" but only it only sees the 2 because the 3rd was never sent... this makes much more sense now.

adding the fourth wire and re-pinning to ROW specs

How hard is it to add this 4th wire?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I guess the 4th wire is the missing piece to my puzzle. I do have a bulb out error for the turn signals.
There you go, the missing wire is for the amber turn signals that are not present on NAR cars.

So if I understand correctly, by modifying the holders as described in this thread, it is turning 2 inputs and a ground into 3 inputs and a ground. Where NA only supplies the 3 wires and ROW supplies 4. So now, by coding it to say "hey look for 3 inputs" but only it only sees the 2 because the 3rd was never sent... this makes much more sense now.
Correct.

How hard is it to add this 4th wire?
Depends on how you choose to route the new wires.
You must add a wire from each tail light to the controller under the dash, left side.

Some people just tuck the new wires under the trim, minimizing trim removal.

I chose to run mine with existing wiring bundles, which is a lot of work,
as most of the interior must be stripped to do this.

I will say my wiring has remained bulletproof for over 190,000 miles now.
BTW euro r32 tails and euro LED tails are wired exactly the same (coding is different).

VWTiger

I am the Stig
Thanks Jet. This is exactly what I was searching for. Simply put, you rock.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Better late than never... Just did this mod using this DIY. Thanks Darcness! Followed the DIY step by step, worked perfectly. No issues. Totally worth it!

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
I wish I could get the amber lenses as well. I have the votex r32 tails and they are not accessible.

What is the euro bulb?

Looks like oem right.

I used glass paint on the inside of the tail lights to make it look amber.

Sorry I didn't mean euro bulbs. Just euro bulb holders

zmoclov21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 cw 2 door dsg gti
They are R32 style tinted but no amber lenses on the outside inners and they are symmetrical so two clear-lensed reverse lights on the inside inners.

Oh then what bulbs are you using? I'm really apprehensive of changing lanes because I'm so self conscious about how dim my amber turn signals are.

It sounds like the 921s are fine if the coding is done (which I have done), but I don't want to worry about over heating forever..

I'm curious of whats the brightest - a clear bulb with amber lenses or amber bulb with clear lenses?

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Bump cuz I need to go and do this

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I've been using the 921 bulbs for 4 months with no problems whatsoever. No one's reported issues seeing them in daylight.

zmoclov21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 cw 2 door dsg gti
Just changed out c916 for a pair of 921na and night and day difference! I used Philips LongerLife 921NA, they ar a bit less Amber, but 100% brighter. Finally feel confident with my turn signal again.

Fltlner

I know this thread has been years but does the Vagcom code work on Helix LED plug and play tail lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I know this thread has been years but does the Vagcom code work on Helix LED plug and play tail lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not know anything about "Helix LED plug and play tail lights", BUT,
if they are really plug and play for US cars, then No.
The coding is for euro tails with euro wiring.

Installing euro Amber turn signals on a US mk5 Gulf variant involves
adding two additional wires from the controller, one to each tail light,
basically converting the standard US wiring (3 wire)
to the standard euro wiring (4 wire).
So the coding is going to apply to the euro wiring, not stock US wiring.

US mk5 GTi after modification to euro wiring (4 wire)