GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: 2.0T FSI Timing Belt Replacement for GTI/A3/Jetta

FerMan

Last weekend I did my first Timing Belt replacement on my 2007 GTI. I used all the correct parts and followed this DYI. I rotated twice the Camshaft and everytime the marks matched. I thought everything worked out ok. I drove the car for about 5 miles and all appeared to have worked out according to plan.

Today I got the CEL ON and code P0016 (Incorrect Correlation).

Anyone have any advice before I take apart everything ?

After thinking for a while, I might not tighten the tensioner enough, not until the tab aligns with notch... Could it be this the reason ?

Athfar

Last weekend I did my first Timing Belt replacement on my 2007 GTI. I used all the correct parts and followed this DYI. I rotated twice the Camshaft and everytime the marks matched. I thought everything worked out ok. I drove the car for about 5 miles and all appeared to have worked out according to plan.

Today I got the CEL ON and code P0016 (Incorrect Correlation).

Anyone have any advice before I take apart everything ?

After thinking for a while, I might not tighten the tensioner enough, not until the tab aligns with notch... Could it be this the reason ?

Yea double check your timing again and that you did everything up properly.

Also, check that you didn't strip the stud on that tensioner, if you did it won't tighten properly. Honestly I wish these timing belt kits would include that stud, that's the one thing that I screwed up when I did mine.

Last edited:

Zach L

VR junkie
If you're the type of person that forgets to tighten tensioners properly and also misspells the word DIY, I'd let someone else do your timing job. It's best to be the type of person who focuses on details. There's too much at stake.

That's not me being harsh; it's the legitimate reality for anyone considering this timing belt job.

FerMan

If you're the type of person that forgets to tighten tensioners properly and also misspells the word DIY, I'd let someone else do your timing job. It's best to be the type of person who focuses on details. There's too much at stake.

That's not me being harsh; it's the legitimate reality for anyone considering this timing belt job.
Well, thank you for this good help and the spelling check.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Zach L

VR junkie
You're welcome for the DIY.

Y_Lam

Thank you Zach for posting this. It helped me a lot, especially after I stripped one of the crank pulley hex bolt. My car is @200K now. I am doing the timing belt now and really debating if I should replace the front crank seal. It is not leaking now. My biggest concern is the crank sprocket. I do not have air tools. How hard is it to take the bolt off? Is a special tool required to remove the sprocket? Thanks

Boosty

Ready to race!
Figured I'd throw together a little how-to...

I got all the part just curious how long this would take for someone who's never done this type of job before ?
Less than 4 hrs?

Zach L

VR junkie
Thank you Zach for posting this. It helped me a lot, especially after I stripped one of the crank pulley hex bolt. My car is @200K now. I am doing the timing belt now and really debating if I should replace the front crank seal. It is not leaking now. My biggest concern is the crank sprocket. I do not have air tools. How hard is it to take the bolt off? Is a special tool required to remove the sprocket? Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I wouldn't replace the crank seal unless it is leaking. I went 215,000 miles and mine never leaked. My camshaft seal also never leaked in that time. Have those parts handy when doing this job, but only replace if they're leaking.

I got all the part just curious how long this would take for someone who's never done this type of job before ?
Less than 4 hrs?
An experienced person might be able to do it in 4 hours. If you're new to this, I'd start on a Saturday morning and really take your time. Will probably be done by late afternoon or evening. It's good to have Sunday available in case you run into any issues like a stripped bolt or similar.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
An experienced person might be able to do it in 4 hours. If you're new to this, I'd start on a Saturday morning and really take your time. Will probably be done by late afternoon or evening. It's good to have Sunday available in case you run into any issues like a stripped bolt or similar.

I had never done something this in-depth when I did mine. Keep in mind it was my father and I, so two people. We started on a Saturday morning and took about 8 hours to do everything to put the new belt on. We then took a couple hours on Sunday morning to put everything back together. Also keep in mind that we're both pretty methodical people, so normal people probably move a little quicker haha.

QSLRIS

Thanks to this DIY guide and the experiences shared by many others in this thread, I was able to finish the timing belt job which saved me lots of money (dealer wanted $1900). Car runs smooth and no error codes so far...but I am a little nervous about driving it because....

1) I forgot to apply some thread lockers to the belt tensioner's stud and idler's wheel bolts during reassembly even though I carefully torqued them all to spec. Is thread locker necessary to prevent bolts backing out from vibration? I hate to remove the engine mount bracket and timing belt cover again just to put some thread locker.

2) During reassembly, I didn't replace the belt tensioner's stud that comes with the kit. After mounting the new tensioner, the stud doesn't protrude far enough to cover all the theads.

I need some piece of mind driving this car and not worrying about belt slippages. Any advises would be greatly appreciated.

benlong7777

Photobucket issue

I am having issue seeing the pics on your post. After reading, I am still confuse d about what photobucket is doing. If I get an account will I be able to see them?

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
I am having issue seeing the pics on your post. After reading, I am still confuse d about what photobucket is doing. If I get an account will I be able to see them?

No, you won't. He has to upgrade his account and start giving them money, OR host all of his images somewhere else, like Imgur.com, where it's free. Then he has to come back and update all of his links to the new site, THEN we'll be able to see his pics. But since he hasn't responded and hasn't updated his links, I'm going to guess that he's not coming back and not going to update his pics...Good luck with your TB replacement!