GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: 2.0T FSI Timing Belt Replacement for GTI/A3/Jetta

itskv

APR Stage II+
How much coolant is needed? I bought oem G13 from the dealer.

Zach L

VR junkie
Look at how much is included in the TB kits.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
How much coolant is needed? I bought oem G13 from the dealer.

In the Bentley I believe its 7.8L or just under 2 gallons depending on how much you're able to drain. I would start out slowly adding and watch the level as the car runs until it levels off.

fastwire

Ready to race!
When I flushed the cooling systen, I used 4 liters of G12+ and the rest with distilled water. my 2 cents

Last edited:

fastwire

Ready to race!
Guys, I got an ECS Ultimate kit for the task.

My question is about the t-belt tensioner. The one that came with the kit is the made in Canada alternative that ships on ECS's kits. It feels cheap.

Over here there's a parts shop that has the Febi tensioner.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that he had to reuse the old tensioner because the new one in the kit was bad quality and didnt even hold the torque.

Anyone has experience with the made in Canada alternative tensioners that ECS ships in their kits? thanks in advance

Last edited:

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunately I had to reuse the old one as well. The one supplied didn't hold torque at all. Old one looked to be in great shape but time will tell

fastwire

Ready to race!
Unfortunately I had to reuse the old one as well. The one supplied didn't hold torque at all. Old one looked to be in great shape but time will tell

thx for the reply, yeah this is it.
I will have to buy a Febi Bilstein tensioner for peace of mind, here it costs the same as the VW OEM one at Ecs.

Crossing fingers that the other components are OEM quality..

Last edited:

Zach L

VR junkie
I'd march down to the local dealer and pay top dollar for a new tensioner before I reused the old one.

I have used quite a few timing belt kits from ECS in the past, including the first time I did my timing belt. No car I've done a timing belt on had any issues with the tensioner from the ECS kit. I put 85,000 miles on the one I used. That said, I never paid much attention to the brand so I can't remember where it was made. I just know they included parts from OE suppliers and that has always been good enough for me. They could have changed to a cheaper alternative recently in their kit.

Lately I have been using TB kits from Europa Parts because they allow more selection and choices of brands for each part. The INA tensioner is supposed to be very good quality and the same supplier to VW just without the logos on it. The INA is about $80 I believe.

fastwire

Ready to race!
thx. Glad to know its been used plenty of times without issues.

I will try with the kit tensioner if it installs fine. thx again!

Zach L

VR junkie
thx. Glad to know its been used plenty of times without issues.

I will try with the kit tensioner if it installs fine. thx again!
Like I mentioned, I have no clue if the current tensioner is the same one they've included with the kit in the past. Call them.

Zach L

VR junkie
This is the kit I've been buying lately, which allow for much customization: http://www.europaparts.com/timing-belt-kit-2-0t-bpy.html

I'd recommend adding the motor mount hardware and coolant. Also recommend only replacing the camshaft seal and crankshaft seal if yours are currently leaking oil. Buy them if you're not sure you'll need them or not. You will not need the single crankshaft bolt (M16x54) if you do not replace the crankshaft seal.

oski

Car(s)
B6 VW Passat
Impact or hand tools?

Do you guys recommend using impact or hand tools for the 6 hex bolts on the crankshaft?

Worried about stripping the bolts as many other have on this thread.

Thanks!

Zach L

VR junkie
No thread locker necessary.

You're more likely to cause damage when using an impact. Use hand tools and make sure the bit is fully seated in the hole. Lightly tap it in and keep the bit pointed straight while turning.

You should replace the 6 crank pulley bolts, so no need to worry if you have to drill them out. Buy a $20 corded electric drill from Harbor Freight along with a cheap set of metal drill bits just in case they're needed. The bolts are soft because they're stretch bolts. Drilling is quick and easy.