GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dirt cheap healthy lunches for work

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Greek yogurt, applesauce, a bit of honey and cinnamon. Top it with a bit of granola.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Some days i'll also get a chicken caesar salad, eat half one day, half the next. Tastes just as good the second day if you split it and don't put dressing on all of it. Same can go for large hoagies.

Turns $6 daily lunch into $3 a day.

Drinking tap or filtered water saves a lot over buying soda or teas.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
If I need to stretch some meals so I can save some dough, I do the rice cooker and slow cooker (definitely a good investment for a kitchen for anyone).

As TRUboost kind of said, rice is cheap and is a good filler. With a rice cooker, you can set it and forget it, and come back to it for both lunch and dinner. The slow cooker is something that you will have to prep for and remember about, but some newer slow cookers have digital gauges on the front to make it so you can set it and forget it. With some cheap beef tips and basic veggies, you can have 4-6 meals from that slow cooker and all it cost you is about $10-$15 for ingredients.

:thumbsup:

mugsy

Passed Driver's Ed
Microwaving fish in a work microwave at work is uncool, I wouldn't disrespect my coworkers like that (even the coworkers I dislike).

As far as affordable, healthy (and convenient) work meals I just heat up canned soup (may have sodium or bpa though) pouches of healthy soup (no sodium or bpa but a little more $$$) and maybe bring some weight watchers cheese sticks or maybe some canned corn to mix with the soup. Also some of the small vanilla or chocolate organic milk cartons that have a long shelf life.

Maybe not dirt cheap but convenient, non-imposing and relatively healthy.

Along The Razor's Edge

Ready to race!
A couple of ideas...

Simple egg salad sandwich - 2 hard boiled eggs mixed with spicy mustard and spread on whole wheat bread (I minimize the bread, put half mixture on 1 slice, fold over, repeat)

Hummus and Veggies (you can make tons of hummus yourself pretty inexpensively if you don't use too much tahini)

Bring your own salad

Dr. McDougall's instant soup (as far as instant soups go, not too unhealthy @ $1.50 each)

Baked Potato and beans or Chili

Fresh Fruit

Trail Mix (make it yourself...much cheaper)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
cereal

lean cuisines or the like, when they are on sale for like $2-3bucks each.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
At my office the lunch packers end up becoming social outcasts that carries over in to how they are viewed at work unfortunately.

Have organized some eat-ins with a card game, or lunch at a nearby park so you can still bring your own and not miss out on the socialization though.

JonRoth

Ready to race!
I saw someone post about Greek Yogurt. GET IT. It's packed with protein, low in fat, and relatively cheap. Doesn't taste too great on it's own so throw some berries, cinnamon, peanut butter, and even protein powder if you have any. Quite filling, very nutritious, and cheap.

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
I saw someone post about Greek Yogurt. GET IT. It's packed with protein, low in fat, and relatively cheap. Doesn't taste too great on it's own so throw some berries, cinnamon, peanut butter, and even protein powder if you have any. Quite filling, very nutritious, and cheap.

Surprisingly this. I just got some from Costco, and it's surprisingly good.

red_dragon

Ready to race!

CHOBANI pineapple. OMG. it's popularity has driven the price up to about $1 to $1.25 each though...where i am at least

JonRoth

Ready to race!
CHOBANI pineapple. OMG. it's popularity has driven the price up to about $1 to $1.25 each though...where i am at least

That's why you have to buy plain and spiff it up yourself. Plus, the processed flavors always have stuff you don't want in em'. (extra sugar, and other chemicals mixed in to keep the calories down)