GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

digital slr for xmas, what to get?

Hammersmith

Resident Cardiologist
Car(s)
MKV GLI
You can't go wrong with the Xti either. You'll get a lot of Canon or Nikon fanboys posting when you ask questions like this but the bottom line is that they are both great products. Good luck and I hope you find something that fits your budget.

omegach

Banned
that's a pretty durn good deal for the XTI. you could probably sell those two lenses in exchange for one nicer lens; i've heard that the canon kit lens kinda sucks. not sure about that, so you might wanna research before taking my word for it.

i personally prefer Nikon and shoot w/ a d70s. i put some of my shit online: http://omegach.deviantart.com/gallery/

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
i owned a D50 before my D200 and its a hell of a camera for the price its going for now.

Agreed. My first DSLR was a D50. I loved it and it was a great camera.

Some people get caught up in the thought that more MP = better pictures and that couldn't be farther from the truth. 6.1MP is plenty for great photos. You only really need 10+MP if you want to make large tack sharp prints.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL

crabpot

Awesomesauce
alright, well heres an update. my mom has been searching around and found this:
http://www.fotoconnection.com/p53071-canon-eos-400d-digital-rebel-xti-package-5.html

looks like the XTi might be mine after all

DO NOT BUY FROM HERE!

Quite honestly, there are tons of camera websites that will try and screw you. What you do is you buy the camera, but then you get a phone call or e-mail saying your order didn't go through and you need to call them. When they get you on the phone they pressure you into upselling all kinds of crap that you don't need like an extended warranty. Or they tell you that the battery that comes with the camera only lasts for 15 minutes (not true) and you should buy one with a rapid charger and warranty from them for like $500.

This is how these companies make money, they sell cameras for ridiculously cheap but then pressure you into buying accessories for 500% of what they actually cost. If you don't go for it, then they simply cancel your order and hang up on you.

This is actually much more common then you think, be VERY careful who you order a camera from online. I have had a few of my friends who have had issues buying cameras from these sketchy websites.

Last, don't necessarily pay attention to reviews of the website online. A lot of times people are paid to post good reviews of the website to outweigh the negative reviews by people who have actually purchased products there.

Just my .02.

Check out some reviews here:

http://riftwave.net/blog/images/fotoc.html

Broadway Photo is another website that is well known for this sketchy tactic.

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
goodness you've got a 12-24mm also? i was thinking about the sigma 10-20mm, a little easier on the wallet. :p

lately i've been going nuts, i've got a real itch for a new lens.

Yeah it's a Tokina....but whatever...don't tell anyone. :laugh: Some people say it has less distortion than it's nikkor equivalent. Not to mention half the cost.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
Yeah it's a Tokina....but whatever...don't tell anyone. :laugh: Some people say it has less distortion than it's nikkor equivalent. Not to mention half the cost.

ya im about to either buy the sigma 10-20 or the 12-24. or if i decide to not mod my car and grow the balls then ill get the nikkor 17-55 2.8 DX...i just cant decide though.

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
my mom is the one buying the camera. i told her XTi is my prefered choice of camera. ive used canon film cameras and love. got a zr45 and a gl-2. both are great cameras for what i use them for.