GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DarkX's Edition 30 DSG | Build Thread & Parts Review

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks, can you believe I still don't have a boost gauge? Of course I do log regularly, make sure everything is in order, but I'm kind of ashamed I don't have one. Was supposed to have it installed long ago, but something would always come up. So that will be my next mod and then we're gonna work on queen's car that's taking the BT path, needs engine build and all. When that is done I'm going BT as well, so yeah, for quite a while my car stays the same performance-wise. I also want that sweet Telson spoiler (rear wing) by Osir, in gloss black, just hope it matches my diamond black body, so I may throw that in while working on queen's car.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Nice redline. In Flat Tire's opinion boost gages are overrated: you never look at them while actually on boost and once the car's setup you don't need to look at it anyway. Logging is the way to go if you want actual data on the boooost.

Well, that said, passengers do love them :w00t:

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks, and you have a point, guess I'm gonna get one because it's cool :biggrin:

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Ordered and installed NGK U5014 (R8) coils and replaced my worn out NGK BKR8EIX spark plugs. Also replaced cam follower after almost 5k miles, which evidently wasn't necessary as it came out literally intact, I was a little surprised I was expecting at least the DLC to be a little worn with my Autotech HPFP. Threw the new one in and gonna inspect in 10k miles. Also cleaned and polished the engine just a little using a damp cloth first, and then Autoglym's Vinyl and Rubber Care lotion for the finish. Don't expect to see professional work, tired as I was after working on the car :p

And did a DSG fluid and filter change, although for that I went to the dealer.

Here's the coils and spark plugs:

Couple more engine bay pics:

And went out for logging, thanks queen :thumbsup: Primarily wanted to check for cf since I'm running aggressive settings and wanted to see if there was room for even more timing advance:

64F ambient, 80F IAT, top 2nd to top 4th about 7300 rpm but due to refresh rate vcds logged 7200. I didn't log overboost cause I wanted to see how it runs just like an ordinary pull on an ordinary day.

As we see here, the cf are acceptable for an engine running aggressive settings, considering you get 0 to 1 when running very safe. But you don't want to see values above 6 and especially if you want a DD car. So where I am at the moment is acceptable, but I doubt I can increase timing further at this point. Since my IAT is pretty good the bottleneck for more timing is fuel octane itself. I use pump gas only, 100 RON which is the US equivalent of 95 AKI, but for more timing without increasing cf I'm gonna have to use either race gas or w/m. I'm not gonna look for race gas and I'm not sure about w/m either, considering I'm now saving for my big turbo setup.

I'll update with another dyno after it gets a little colder, probably next month, because inside the dyno temps are nowhere near 64F.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Still in the low 60's so still waiting, meanwhile a quick pic

quicksilver6945

snowbunny
Car(s)
ONLY GTI.....AWD...
keep it going .....σε ιδιωτικο παρκιν τα βαζετε και οι δυο σας?μακαρι να ειχα τετοι χωρο..

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Wow it's been a couple years since I updated this thread. So much has happened since, done some more modding and tweaking to make a few extra ponies, car runs strong as ever and it was time to get myself new wheels and tires: DOTZ Shift Pinstripe Red 8x18 and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R 225/40/R18 88W

Next up is fender rolling, cause right now rub is my middle name. I rubbed on stock wheels but it wasn't nearly as bad, which is why I never rolled. Looking to find a shop in my area, which turns out isn't as easy as I thought and I don't feel confident enough to DIY it as I have zero experience with body work. I have read everything about the methods, tools used etc and it's no big deal to purchase the equipment but I'd rather have it done by a professional. If I can't find any I'm afraid I'm gonna have to lift the car by half an inch or so, which won't be too bad I guess but I'd rather not to.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
So I did it with the old-school rubber mallet method, which is how it was done before fender rollers came out, making sure you have one hand on the outside of the fender. It took a while, much longer than the fender roller method, as you had to go real easy with the hits and it took hundreds. The result is pretty good, the left fender came out perfect and we had a slight crack of paint on the right fender but only on the lip which you can't see unless you get under the car. Despite that, I used a little touch-up paint and clear coat to seal the damage.

Since there was no more lip to keep the plastic inner fender in place, we had to lift the upper part by 2/3" (there is still no gap between the two parts) to line it up with the rolled lip. Along with adjusting the screws, to lift the inner fender we also had to cut a 1/3" chunk which has no effect at keeping water and dirt away effectively.

I just wanted to say that the mallet method does work, possibly just as good as the fender roller, but it requires experience. Fender roller seems a lot safer but according to my research paint can still crack, as it depends on things such as how old the paint is, its quality, fender flexibility etc. I even gave a few calls and nobody could guarantee a flawless result, so I decided to choose experience over the modern method.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the fender while I was under the car and as there is no wheel gap up front I can't take a proper shot unless I jack the car up which I'm bored to do, and even if I did the picture would probably come out blurred, so it's gonna have to wait until I have to lift the car for another job.

Took the car for a quick ride, no more rubbing even at 60 mph except just once which I could barely hear. I used to rub at 40 and like 3-4 times on the same route. I also did a few runs at a nice stretch and no issues.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
As it's probably gonna take a long time until I have to lift the car, I gave another shot at taking those pics, this time with the wheels turned, hoping it makes enough room for my cellphone, and I think it worked.

First let me say that fender rolling helped get rid of my rubbing issues for the most part, but going a little faster on those bumps or with more passengers in the car I kept rubbing. After inspecting my wheel wells I noticed one of the areas I still rub is around the top fender screw, which led me to the fender screw mod (thanks dpham for the incredibly simple, but so much worthy little mod).

Left:

Right:

After tucking the fender liner I also bent the metal tab up which provided even more clearance and I just left the screw retainer because I don't rub around that area anymore.

And this shows a little about my rolled fenders, unfortunately that's the best I could do with my phone at this point.

Now after taking care of the fender and the screw, the only area I still rub is at the top of the fender liner as you can see in the pic. That's an area 6-7 inches long, which I may take care of one day but I'm not in a hurry since I don't rub often and even when I do it doesn't rub hard, so I don't see any damage to either the tire or the fender liner other than those scratches. Either way, the solution to that is shaping the fender liner using a heat gun.

Took the car for another ride, even longer and more spirited this time and I couldn't believe how much both these mods have helped. I highly recommend doing both fender rolling and the screw mod.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thinking about window tint, which I've been avoiding for a long time due to the car being so dark already, and I'm not Darth Vader. But then this happened...

Rear window looks so dark due to the angle of the shot. Thinking about a light tint for all windows, and if it's too dark I may go for clear tint for the fronts and avoid an unnecessary fine. Would it actually look tits?