• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
My parents lived next to a neighbor with a similar situation in his backyard, attracting tons of rats.
My dad spent 10+ years killing rats and tossing them back over the fence, complaining to the neighbor, HOA, city etc
The only thing that ended up fixing the problem is when they got foreclosed on and finally moved out

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My parents lived next to a neighbor with a similar situation in his backyard, attracting tons of rats.
My dad spent 10+ years killing rats and tossing them back over the fence, complaining to the neighbor, HOA, city etc
The only thing that ended up fixing the problem is when they got foreclosed on and finally moved out

That's LITERALLY what I'm waiting for. For them to get kicked tf out.

Set up one of those rat trap buckets.

I was using a bunch of these things:

1638472449398.png

I can't use the open ones, since I don't want our dog to stick his nose in it. Really don't want to do poison either, because dog, and I don't want them to eat poison and then die under my A\C and smell like death while decomposing.

I've caught some huge ones with those traps.

1638472680969.png

But like I said. They just stopped going in them.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Dude, don't get me started on rodents. We have a rat problem, which is luckily contained outside. There hasn't been a single sign of them inside. And it's a fucking shitty situation all around. Our neighbors on the side of us are peak white trash. Nice, friendly people. But trashy as fuck. They have a garbage pile on the side of their house, next to a section of fencing that borders our property.

View attachment 231845

Red is a fence, green is a garbage pile. Like, straight up garbage pile.

View attachment 231847

Just an example of it. That was how it was a year ago. They do get a dumpster and clear it out maybe twice a year. But it just comes back.

Anyway. Rodents. Of course that brought rats. Who migrated over to my property. They've burrowed under the stairs at the rear of my house, which are concrete. As well as burrowing underneath the platform my shed is on, and my A/C. For a while, I was using basic snap traps, and killing 10+ rats a week. But they wizened up and stopped going in them. But I can tell they're still there. Fill in their burrows, they'll re-dig them out.

And dude. They can fucking TUNNEL! I mean, straight up Shawshank Redemption style.

View attachment 231848

That blue section used to have some burrows. Dug them up. Behind that fence right there is where the A\C & shed are. They tunneled 10' feet, and came out there. I used my 6' borescope in that tunnel, and didn't even get close to the end.

I'd be willing to pay for an exterminator. But without the source being fixed (the neighbors), I doubt it's effectiveness. I've spoken to the neighbors (we're on "friendly" terms), and it just gets shrugged off "Yeah, heh. I need to get a dumpster again." I've reported it to the state, multiple times. They're just white trash.

So yes. The fucking joys of homeownership rofl.
What the fuck. Does your city not have trash service? I can't imagine a dumpster a few times a year being cheaper. Just shoot them, say you feared for your life and you'll walk away free.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The town can't do anything about the garbage?

There must be an ordinance they're violating. They're creating a public health danger at the very least.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Nothing. You just submit a complaint online. Which was done multiple times. But what is going to happen? When I say these people are peak white trash, I don't think people understand lol. According to Zillow, the house was foreclosed on 18 months ago.

View attachment 231849

The electric company came to their door threating to shut off their power since they don't pay their electric bill (was walking the dog past the house at the right time when that happened).

What is the state\town going to do? Fine them? They don't give a fuck. For all I know, they did get fined. It would just go in the garbage. They don't pay shit.

Luckily no. He does try to hunt them down when I bring him out after dark. Can tell his nose is picking them up.
Why luckily no? This dude murders anything that comes onto the property and I love him for it: two skunks, possum, and a coyote.

Ratko12.jpg

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Dude, don't get me started on rodents. We have a rat problem, which is luckily contained outside. There hasn't been a single sign of them inside. And it's a fucking shitty situation all around. Our neighbors on the side of us are peak white trash. Nice, friendly people. But trashy as fuck. They have a garbage pile on the side of their house, next to a section of fencing that borders our property.

View attachment 231845

Red is a fence, green is a garbage pile. Like, straight up garbage pile.

View attachment 231847

Just an example of it. That was how it was a year ago. They do get a dumpster and clear it out maybe twice a year. But it just comes back.

Anyway. Rodents. Of course that brought rats. Who migrated over to my property. They've burrowed under the stairs at the rear of my house, which are concrete. As well as burrowing underneath the platform my shed is on, and my A/C. For a while, I was using basic snap traps, and killing 10+ rats a week. But they wizened up and stopped going in them. But I can tell they're still there. Fill in their burrows, they'll re-dig them out.

And dude. They can fucking TUNNEL! I mean, straight up Shawshank Redemption style.

View attachment 231848

That blue section used to have some burrows. Dug them up. Behind that fence right there is where the A\C & shed are. They tunneled 10' feet, and came out there. I used my 6' borescope in that tunnel, and didn't even get close to the end.

I'd be willing to pay for an exterminator. But without the source being fixed (the neighbors), I doubt it's effectiveness. I've spoken to the neighbors (we're on "friendly" terms), and it just gets shrugged off "Yeah, heh. I need to get a dumpster again." I've reported it to the state, multiple times. They're just white trash.

So yes. The fucking joys of homeownership rofl.
As much as an HOA can suck at times, I'll take a two month approval process to plant a tree over this shit any day.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
As much as an HOA can suck at times, I'll take a two month approval process to plant a tree over this shit any day.
HOA won't do shit either. They might send a notice or two, maybe even issue a fine. But at the end of the day if they don't pay the fine (as people who uncaringly hoard garbage are likely to do) nothing will happen

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What the fuck. Does your city not have trash service? I can't imagine a dumpster a few times a year being cheaper. Just shoot them, say you feared for your life and you'll walk away free.

We have city trash. One big trash bin, two big recycling bins, picked up weekly.

We have 3 people in our house. It's a decent size for that. Even then, I wish there was more storage space.

Their house is the same size as ours, just a mirror copy.

They have 7 people in their. They just produce more trash than can be hauled out weekly.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
HOA won't do shit either. They might send a notice or two, maybe even issue a fine. But at the end of the day if they don't pay the fine (as people who uncaringly hoard garbage are likely to do) nothing will happen

That's pretty much it. They don't care about fines.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
How do they generate so much trash... What do they do? Imagine what the inside of that shit pile is like?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Had a day like that last week. I saw a mouse in my garage which is unacceptable so I spent a while figuring out where it got in, found a very small gap at the garage door frame so I sprayed some loctite insulation foam to seal it up. Well that shit expands a ton and adhered to the side of the garage door. It adheres very strong and when I opened the garage door, it held that side down while the other side went up. Garage door ripped out of the channels entirely. I wrestled with it trying to support the door and line it back up in the channels for over an hour but it wasn't happening. Had to call an emergency repair service, 2 hours and $600 later I was sorted out.
I learned how to do this in my first house. I found an engineer from a door company that did springs and shit on the side. I basically paid him $100 for a lesson on how to fix garage doors haha

Status
Not open for further replies.