GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
My wife used to give me shit about using the hill assist, but living in PA there's a fair number of hills that it makes MUCH easier to manage. While I enjoy shifting, I can see where it'd also be a pain after a while, and I'll grant that automatics have come quite a long way.

I wouldn't mind having an automatic if it were not a sporty car to begin with. I bought my GTI (my first, by the way) to scratch an itch from when I was a kid. I had a mk4 2.0 automatic but I always wanted a GTI, in stick, with either a 1.8T or VR6, and 'cool' seats -- this ended up becoming my MY 2019 S, to get the plaid seats, with the idea of upgrading to the cool headlights. So it's pretty rad to have that now, and it really lives up to my hopes. But I'm very tempted by an automatic Maverick or similar small pickup, OR something I can turn into a VIP flavor, and put comfort over sportiness.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
My wife used to give me shit about using the hill assist, but living in PA there's a fair number of hills that it makes MUCH easier to manage. While I enjoy shifting, I can see where it'd also be a pain after a while, and I'll grant that automatics have come quite a long way.
I was just in Europe and we had a Skoda rental for a few days. Having hill assist spoils you because I learned my rental didn't have it when I damn near slammed into the car behind me on a hill. I had forgotten how manuals actually behave on a steep hill.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I agree medium format is great. Only shot a very limited amount on a borrowed camera. IIRC it was a Mamiya. Down the road I can see me picking up a used Fujifilm GFX 50s when the price comes down. Although as an old fart I may not be around when that finally happens.

Another friend of mine recently picked up a GFX50S. It. Is. Magic. He was already an excellent photographer and his shots have really leveled up. There is so much more depth to them. Hugely expensive system, though. Some of the GFX lenses cost more than some of the high-end crop sensor cameras that Fuji makes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
This might start another one of them manual vs auto fights....I probably shouldn't be looking at cars, but I'm starting to get tired of driving a manual. I've had 15 straight years of driving a VW manual. I've never owned a 2nd car, so I've never been able to take a break from shifting. I don't regret it, but after all this time I think I'm finally ready for a change. If these cars had a more rewarding manual I might be able to stick to it. Even with cars that have more tech in their manuals I'm not sure I'm interested. The Z and supra manuals coming out this year both have the rev match feature.

I saw the new type R is supposed to come out later this year. I feel like I'm always hearing about how good the shifts feel on civics. This might be the only car I could consider another manual with, but I'm not big into hondas and the previous type R had crazy msrp mark ups even without a pandemic. I'm also not sure a 4 cylinder is something I want again. I think I'd prefer a 5 or 6 cylinder so I can have a car that actually sounds good. It's also still only a FWD car so that makes it not worth considering too.
GR Corolla with front and rear limited slip. Order one now.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

I wouldn't mind having an automatic if it were not a sporty car to begin with. I bought my GTI (my first, by the way) to scratch an itch from when I was a kid. I had a mk4 2.0 automatic but I always wanted a GTI, in stick, with either a 1.8T or VR6, and 'cool' seats -- this ended up becoming my MY 2019 S, to get the plaid seats, with the idea of upgrading to the cool headlights. So it's pretty rad to have that now, and it really lives up to my hopes. But I'm very tempted by an automatic Maverick or similar small pickup, OR something I can turn into a VIP flavor, and put comfort over sportiness.

Hill assist is like the back up camera. I thought it was the devils work and made people lazy.

After my first month of using each, it’s a fucking god-send. Same with my Apple CarPlay, I miss it so much when I’m driving the Tacoma.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
8CBCD409-9360-4890-8FAD-5AA41E28C79F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.