GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
If peers know this email is coming what are the odds management does as well? They might turn off your email at some point.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
What industry and job is this? If this is some sort of retail thing, it doesn't matter, do what you will. If this is some sort of white collared job, the downside outweighs the upside, in my view.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
What industry and job is this? If this is some sort of retail thing, it doesn't matter, do what you will. If this is some sort of white collared job, the downside outweighs the upside, in my view.
It's retail. Though I just found out we have a company-wide "anonymous help line" for things just like this. Where complaints get sent to corporate level HR to be investigated. Probably a better route than an email to everyone.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
This was way too long of a topic for me to quote stuff, but here's my take:

Everyone saying "only bad can come of sending this email" is correct. I've seen plenty of these sent in different settings over the years. The best outcome is typically nothing; maybe the manager(s) you don't like get a stern talking to, but that's basically the upper limit of a good outcome. I've actually seen it backfire totally too; my wife's old employer had someone quit and send a "my manager sucks and breaks all the rules, plus doesn't enforce any" email at the behest of her co-workers, so corporate swooped in to investigate and interviewed everyone, investigated all sorts of stuff, then fired every employee for super minor stuff they were able to dig up, but kept the manager and let her hire a new staff.

The only reason to send it is to earn "crappy job scene points". My first job someone sent a "resignation email" to the whole company that included the line "I will no longer allow this company to use my ass as a playground" and people were still talking about it 10 years later. So if infamy is important to you, maybe go for it?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't ever plan on coming back here. Nothing in the email is "complainy" and nothing is personal. I didn't name anyone specifically. I just called out the biggest problem this place has, which is that every "upper manager" hasn't changed in 20+ years. They all just shift each other around when a position opens up. The same six people have basically held the same six jobs for 20+ years. They always say things like "that isn't how we do things here" when the first "company value" (that they always speak so highly of) is about creating change and questioning everything.

I asked several coworkers what they thought, and was given feedback that it "sounded very professional" and "definitely needs sent." It's one of those things that literally everyone working here has a problem with, but is afraid to question because they're afraid of retaliation.

The last time someone sent a goodbye email, they had an emergency meeting about it. However, that person made the mistake of only sending it to the managers he personally had a problem with. Mine is going to the entire location and the corporate service office.
Don't do it. It won't change them. Period.

Leave and tell them how much you learned working there and you'll miss everyone, you just couldn't pass up a new opportunity.

I'm old, listen to me. I've made all these mistakes and they don't help you in any way. It's a small world, you will run into some of these people again, need a reference, or maybe even get an offer to replace one of those managers one day.

HR has a don't rehire list. They use it and answer no when other companies ask if they'd rehire this person.

Just listen to everyone here. No good can come of this. Only bad or nothing.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
It's retail. Though I just found out we have a company-wide "anonymous help line" for things just like this. Where complaints get sent to corporate level HR to be investigated. Probably a better route than an email to everyone.
If at any point you think you're going to do the legal route on the retaliation thing you may not want to do this hotline thing. That would give HR plenty of time to investigate and might complicate things during discovery

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hotlines are not for the employees benefit. They are for the companies benefit and allows them to investigate themselves and find they did nothing wrong.

Walk away.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
This was way too long of a topic for me to quote stuff, but here's my take:

Everyone saying "only bad can come of sending this email" is correct. I've seen plenty of these sent in different settings over the years. The best outcome is typically nothing; maybe the manager(s) you don't like get a stern talking to, but that's basically the upper limit of a good outcome. I've actually seen it backfire totally too; my wife's old employer had someone quit and send a "my manager sucks and breaks all the rules, plus doesn't enforce any" email at the behest of her co-workers, so corporate swooped in to investigate and interviewed everyone, investigated all sorts of stuff, then fired every employee for super minor stuff they were able to dig up, but kept the manager and let her hire a new staff.

The only reason to send it is to earn "crappy job scene points". My first job someone sent a "resignation email" to the whole company that included the line "I will no longer allow this company to use my ass as a playground" and people were still talking about it 10 years later. So if infamy is important to you, maybe go for it?
Scene points are the best tho. I used to be so scene back in the MySpace days..

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
If at any point you think you're going to do the legal route on the retaliation thing you may not want to do this hotline thing. That would give HR plenty of time to investigate and might complicate things during discovery
I'll disagree on this. If something illegal happens and you don't report it to company leadership or HR, you can actually lose standing for a lawsuit. They can claim they had no knowledge of the issue and be correct.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I'll disagree on this. If something illegal happens and you don't report it to company leadership or HR, you can actually lose standing for a lawsuit. They can claim they had no knowledge of the issue and be correct.
So be subtle and minimal with detail and when they press for details lawyer up

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Don't send an email like that. 100% of the time you're going to look disgruntled and everyone will just make fun of you when you're gone. If you hate the place the best bet is to walk away silently and watch them crash and burn. Don't give them any info that will help them after you leave.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
what a shit show this heard and depp thing has been, and i don't even know about whats going on nor do i give a fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.