GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb1111

I'll try defrosting the freezer and go from there. The fridge is really old and should be replaced anyways.
Not necessarily. Older refrigerators can run forever. I had a 70's fridge in the house I bought in 1998 and it was still running strong when I sold the house in 2015 - so 40+ years. I used it as a second fridge in the pantry.

When I went to school in Austria, the apartment had one of the first residential refrigerators - a 1946'ish Hotpoint that was installed by the Army Corps of Engineers. It was running on a transformer the whole time and I finally killed it in 1991 by defrosting it wrong - I was in a hurry and chipped the ice out with a knife - and busted something.

That said, it should be replaced at some point because 2010+ units are far more efficient.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Crème fraîche...that shit sounds too fancy for me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Back on the egg topic, anyone ever tried Gordon Ramsey's scrambled egg recipe?

Watched him make them on Hot Ones.

Gordon: "Taste these, what do you think they need?"

Sean Evans without missing a beat: "Some hot sauce."

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Fridge came with the place and is 17 years old. Top freezer. Freezer is still ice cold, but the fridge won't get any colder. I just remodeled the kitchen, so everything is probably as clean as it's been in this house in 30+ years.

Most fridge/freezer combos run the compressor based on freezer temp, then push air from the freezer to the fridge using a damper or blower controlled by the fridge thermostat (or just a simple knob that opens/closes the damper on real cheap ones). Should be fixable assuming you can find the parts and the cost shouldn't be bad.

If the freezer is so coated in ice that it's blocking airflow, then yes
This...look for fan behind panel in back of freezer section. It's probably not working. Ice may be blocking but fan is my first guess

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Status
Not open for further replies.