GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Is there any valid reason they did that that doesn't involve religion?
The temperance movement equivocated domestic abuse, poverty, laziness, general behavior not befitting of "good christian men" to alcohol. It was, as all things promoted by the pearl clutching types, wrapped in a thin veneer of Christianity to help sell it in the U.S. and across other western countries. In late 1800's U.S. it was tied closely to the female suffrage movement particularly because of the domestic abuse aspect of it. In India the temperance movement used Hinduism.

Temperance movement was huge in the U.S. It even got an amendment added to the constitution, many of the dry laws/restrictions in this country are left over from that age. Evanston was dry until the 70's.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
The temperance movement equivocated domestic abuse, poverty, laziness, general behavior not befitting of "good christian men" to alcohol. It was, as all things promoted by the pearl clutching types, wrapped in a thin veneer of Christianity to help sell it in the U.S. and across other western countries. In late 1800's U.S. it was tied closely to the female suffrage movement particularly because of the domestic abuse aspect of it. In India the temperance movement used Hinduism.

Temperance movement was huge in the U.S. It even got an amendment added to the constitution, many of the dry laws/restrictions in this country are left over from that age. Evanston was dry until the 70's.
so we should just end women's suffrage then?

;)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
ran across an article about a hollywood type who is in a coma from oxygen deprivation after a car accident. they're gonna be donating their viable organs when they pass, as they are not expecting them to pull through the coma.

anyone else an organ donor?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i learned once learned there's a difference between donating organs upon death and donating your body to science - and i forget which one is the better one and which is on the back of your license - i think it's donating organs for both. in which case, yes, take whatever you can!

i think it was captured pretty well in this vid but i saw it a while back

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
ran across an article about a hollywood type who is in a coma from oxygen deprivation after a car accident. they're gonna be donating their viable organs when they pass, as they are not expecting them to pull through the coma.

I am. I don't understand why someone wouldn't, other than magic sky daddy stuff.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

CSB: you need parental consent to be an organ donor when you're under 18 in Delaware. When I got my license, my parents wouldn't let me be one because they were afraid that if I were in an accident, they'd let me die so they could harvest my organs 🤦‍♂️

I'm an organ donor now.

cb1111

The county that I live in just stated selling alcohol on Sundays within the last 5 years. No refrigerated alcohol in gas stations. And people act like they will be legalizing marijuana sometime soon… 🙄
In the early nineties I was on travel from Germany to Dallas to do an investigation. I was invited to dinner and wandered into the (Kroger?) down the street from the hotel to buy a bottle of wine. I didn't find any so I asked. The clerk looked at me as if I'd asked him where to buy heroin (probably easier) and said "this is a dry county!"

Same trip, I'm in Hot Springs AR. I'm invited to a BBQ, so I head to the local store for chips and beer. I get to the register and the clerk says "I have to get a supervisor" Me "why?" Clerk "I'm 18, I can't touch the beer" Me "can I run it over the scanner?" She "Sure, but you'll have to bag it yourself too"

And in Germany, my grandfather sent me to the store when I was 4 or 5 to buy him cigarettes and beer.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I got my ass kicked last night. What a miserable night. lol. I went through waves of night sweats with some terrible stomach pains. I'd wake up drenched in sweat and a few minutes later I'd be in the bathroom throwing up. Just dripping sweat off my face and into the toilet while I heaved. That's gotta be one of the worst nights I've ever had.

I feel a lot better this morning, other than my back being in more pain that yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.