GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I think we've only got about 11 computers. A couple of them are set up only to function as a time clock or a place to print contracts. We've never had IT. IT became one of my many responsibilities just because I'm the youngest and most computer savvy. I've built the majority of PCs here and I can usually figure out any problem we've got, so they think I'm a computer wizard. I'm really just not computer illiterate and I know how to google my problems. lol

I would need a step by step guide to do what you're saying. I'm familiar with the registry editor, but not enough to do anything if my hand isn't being held.
Hackerman.jpeg

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
By now I've taken most of the computers off the domain. Sometimes it's just too much of a pain in the ass to get it working. I can have 3 identical computers set up the same exact way and only 1 of them will connect to the domain and the other 2 will give me a hard time and take me all day to figure it out. I didn't see the purpose of needing it with our small business, so I don't bother with it anymore. Dunno if that was the right thing to do, but that's what happens when I'm your IT guy.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
One of our computers I can't even get set up with printer sharing anymore. We had it set up so our salesmen could print contracts to it and then one day after some windows updates it quit working. I think something in the permissions has been blocking it. Now I've got it set up so they have to walk to this computer to do their print.

Somehow the printer sharing is still working for a different set of computers in the service department. Every once in a while one of the PCs quit's printing and I have to remove the printer and reconnect to it.

Printer sharing has been a huge pain in the ass. I feel like I'm always fighting against that.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Printer sharing has been a huge pain in the ass. I feel like I'm always fighting against that.
In a domain/AD environment, it probably always will be. It's a relic of the past. Even $99 printers these days come with WiFi or Ethernet. Older printers can be connected to a $29 network print server. Printer Sharing was designed for days gone by.

There's no need for a domain if all you need are shared network access, Internet access, file services, print services, and security is not your #1 concern. Workgroups still work just fine, they're just more granular and time consuming to administer if moves, adds, and changes are happening more often than you have time for.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
In a domain/AD environment, it probably always will be. It's a relic of the past. Even $99 printers these days come with WiFi or Ethernet. Older printers can be connected to a $29 network print server. Printer Sharing was designed for days gone by.

There's no need for a domain if all you need are shared network access, Internet access, file services, print services, and security is not your #1 concern. Workgroups still work just fine, they're just more granular and time consuming to administer if moves, adds, and changes are happening more often than you have time for.
The printer we're using for our contracts is an old dot matrix printer lol
We tried to upgrade it at some point, but it was going to require some backend changes that I can't make in order to get the text properly lined up with the lines on the contract. Nobody had time to mess with it so we put it back in the box and kept the dot matrix.

1651607913005.png

Our sales and service program requires specific printers in order to be compatible, so that kinda makes things a little more difficult. I haven't looked at the list in a while to see if there's any with wifi/bluetooth.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
one day after some windows updates it quit working.

Printer sharing has been a huge pain in the ass.
Windows updates are the bane of my existence. How the hell do you have essentially a monopoly on an operating system, sell it to the whole world, make new versions occasionally, and STILL need constant updates? I swear my PC gets slower every time it updates, until it becomes basically useless.
CSB- I have a new 'wireless' printer that works great when I first set it up...then it never works again. I have to remove and reinstall and it will work again, one time. I decided I wanted to hard wire it to a nearby router so everyone could use it. It takes a myriad of menu selections on the little printer screen to find a way to do this, it won't just recognize the ethernet cable. Long story short, it consistently works now but not as advertised.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Windows updates are the bane of my existence. How the hell do you have essentially a monopoly on an operating system, sell it to the whole world, make new versions occasionally, and STILL need constant updates? I swear my PC gets slower every time it updates, until it becomes basically useless.
CSB- I have a new 'wireless' printer that works great when I first set it up...then it never works again. I have to remove and reinstall and it will work again, one time. I decided I wanted to hard wire it to a nearby router so everyone could use it. It takes a myriad of menu selections on the little printer screen to find a way to do this, it won't just recognize the ethernet cable. Long story short, it consistently works now but not as advertised.
Apple is no different, nor is Google.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The printer we're using for our contracts is an old dot matrix printer lol
We tried to upgrade it at some point, but it was going to require some backend changes that I can't make in order to get the text properly lined up with the lines on the contract. Nobody had time to mess with it so we put it back in the box and kept the dot matrix.

View attachment 248129

Our sales and service program requires specific printers in order to be compatible, so that kinda makes things a little more difficult. I haven't looked at the list in a while to see if there's any with wifi/bluetooth.
Parallel port network print server

This should work for your dot matrix printer. There are similar print servers available for your older USB non-networked printers as well.

cb1111

$5 a donut doesn't sound too far off these days.

12 eggs are $4.99 near me (a little less at the really crowded super market)
That's cheap. Store brand are $5.49 here, Egglands are $5.99 and the free range fancy ones in the clear containers are $6.99 - all for the large, not extra large.

Status
Not open for further replies.