GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crazy boost!

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
So a few days ago I decided I wanted to find out what cam revision I have on my '06, so I followed this DIY:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3754451

Well, I couldn't get the little cover thing off after removing the torx bolts so I gave up. After putting everything back together, I went to town with my brother behind me. He called me to tell me that as I was passing a car, my car belched out some black smoke. I also noticed I wasn't boosting what I should. Since then I have noticed a real bad drop in performance and my boost (Stage 2 APR) is never any more than 15 psi. I hit 15 if I'm lucky. Usually it kinda flops around below 10. I have to punch it to get above atm.

I don't know if this happened after I tried to check my cam, or if I simply noticed after I tried checking my cam. The hose going into the case is connected. I also already checked my DV. I looked at all the hose connections and such that I could see and they look fine. I couldn't find anything that even looked loose. I have no CELs relevant to the situation (just a cyl 4 misfire that has been pestering me for ages). I have ABD Racingwerks full CAI, BSH catch can, latest DV, APR stage 2, noise pipe delete, APR turboback exhaust, and a boost gauge. I have also replaced my cam follower in my fuel pump, even though the one in there looked fine.

Any ideas? I have a vagcom so I can run logs, I just don't know which to run. I also built a pressure fitting thing for my intake so I can leak test. Unfortunately, it is inaccessible to me at the moment. I will be trying to get to it after Christmas.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
UPDATE:

Did some test drives on my way to town a bit ago and it seemed like in fourth and maybe third (I haven't slept in over 24 hours so I'm easily confused right now) I could hear a sort of whooshing sound coming from the driver side once I went past atm. into boost. This could possibly be my CAI, but maybe its the leak! Tests were done in stock mode.
Second (and third gear, if I was confused about hearing the whooshing sound in third) seemed to peak up to 12-15 psi with no noticeable sounds of air flow, which is odd because last time I was in stock mode (a long time ago) it seemed like stock peaks at 11-12. At any rate, it appears the boost issues are by far the most noticeable in chipped mode, but I'll have to do a series of test runs tomorrow or something to confirm. Tomorrow I will also check to make sure I was, in fact, in stock mode. It felt like it, and I'm sure I was, but juuuuuuust to make sure, I'll double check.

LessRice

Asian Anti-Ricer
Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
Pbly a small leak... peaking at 15 in stock mode is g

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
Yea the situation is weird. It seemed to peak higher in stock mode than what I expected, but my boost gauge goes crazy in chipped mode. It might VERY briefly hit close to normal peak (20-22) but then it quickly drops to 10 or less. Cruising, I thought I normally was at or around 0 psi (atm) but now I'm very much in vacuum. It just doesn't seem to be behaving like I thought it did, and it seems like I'm experiencing a reduction in performance. Maybe it's all in my head... I did find out today after tearing my car to pieces that my intercooler has a small leak, but I think that's an old leak. Other than that, I can't find another leak. So irritating... I wish I knew what was going on!

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
R u on the stock intercooler ?? If so check the green orings inside the intercooler hoses. That was my issue a free months ago

rbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I know this might sounds stupid but check your noise pipe delete plug. mine popped off and i didnt know it and it cost me $105 for the dealership to tell me it popped off. You seem to have some of the same problems I had. I dont have boost gauge so I dont know how much I as boosting but it was little. I could barely keep at 70mph without a struggle from the car and accellaration was horrible.

hope you figure out the problem soon

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
^ I was just thinking that same thing.

Also check your boost tap for any leaks.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
The intercooler leak isn't at the orings. Using my leak tester, I found that the leak was coming from a corner of my intercooler so I disconnected the hoses and removed it. I plugged one hole and pressurized the other and found that the leak is in between the core and the end tanks (where they meet). I think that's an old leak, though. There was a lot of oil on and around that corner of my intercooler (all over the bottom of the radiator on that corner.. TONS of grime). While the intercooler was out, I hooked my boost leak tester up to the hose that connects the throttle pipe to the intercooler and pressurized that and I couldn't hear any leaks. It sounded like it was depressurizing out my oil fill cap (I had it open).
Regarding the noise pipe delete plug, I don't have one. I replaced my throttle pipe with the noise pipe tap with an aluminum pipe that doesn't have the tap.
My boost tap didn't appear to be leaking. Although, I was just checking in the engine compartment. I'll check inside my dash.
What's interesting is I couldn't find a very large leak at all. The intercooler leak wasn't much of a leak at all. It was still holding pressure quite a bit after I disconnected the compressor hose. But I could swear I felt a loss in power... So confusing and frustrating!

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I guess I should mention that I already ordered a new radiator (Mishimoto all aluminum radiator just because it wasn't much more expensive than stock) because my rad looked like someone beat it against a tree then tried to put their foot through it (I'll post pics when I install my new rad). The person who owned the car before me (judging by the scratch marks all over the CD player and everything around it, and all the scratch marks on the door handles, I'm assuming it was some dumb bitch with fake finger nails) didn't take care of it. Looks like she ran over a rabbit or dog or deer or person or something.

I also bought an APR intercooler while it was on sale. Insanely more expensive than stock but hopefully I'll love it. And it won't leak. Once installed, I'll give it another run and post back. Just gotta wait for everything to get here >.>

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I ordered my new radiator (from wesellcarparts.com cause ecs didnt have it in stock) and my intercooler from APR at the same time. My radiator just arrived. My APR intercooler is still processing. I'd like to say APR is going incredibly slow because of the sale, but three days of processing for an intercooler? For overpriced products, I'd kinda expect stellar service. Don't get me wrong, every aspect of APRs service with me has been great, except doing things in a timely manner. All my dealings have been pretty slow..

/endrant

At any rate, I was wondering what everyones boost gauges are showing at idle with an APR stage II flash. Any input? Also, at WOT in second or third gear, how does your gauge behave? Quickly spike up to peak (what psi is your peak?) and then drop to some pressure (what pressure?) and flop around? Or does it peak, drop to something, and kinda linger around that something?

I've been driving stage II with my gauge for awhile, paying close attention to it at times, and I would have liked to think I knew pretty well how my boost behaved, but now I just don't know. I've confused myself or something.

New radiator from Mishimoto! Looks slick...