GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crashed my 2006 gti w 45k miles

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
So I got in to an accident on Monday.
Not sure if its repairable but damage is there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/168703723544804?view=permalink&id=757742694640901

Didnt have full coverage so its my loss.
What options do I have? Part it out and then sell it to a junkyard?
Sell it as is? (With steelies) This is first time in this situation.
I am planning on putting the wheels and suspension on my new 2016 Passat but other than the front damage the car could be one of the cleanest out there.
Sad to let go but gotta move on.
Any tips would help.
Thank you

Last edited:

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Yikes, I'm sorry to hear of it. I'm hoping you and whoever was in the car at the time are okay. I got in a minor accident on the 10 in the morning (during rush hour so couldn't have been more than 20 MPH). I also didn't have full coverage and the repairs came out to $5000 for me, which I paid out of pocket. Insurance would have totaled it at $4600 or so, even though it only had 74000 miles at the time. Depreciation seems more dependent on model year than amount of miles.

I'd definitely get quotes from all around. Since insurance won't be dragging it away from you anytime soon, I guess you have the benefit of time on your side. I'm also not experienced with these kind of scenarios, but that's my thought process. Selling it or fixing it and driving it would be your only options. I'm no assessor but I'd say it's probably north of $8000 to fix it up. If your 2016 Passat is your own car I'd say selling it to the biggest bidder and driving the Passat would be your best bet.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
I let them total my 06’ gli. They payed 7grand & I took it. Def couldn’t sell the thing for that much. And that was 2016. They payed almost what I bought it for used. Even if you wanna fix it it will become a salvage opening a new can of worms. The salvage value will be nothing, it may not drive straight, uneven tire wear & electronic issues from damaged wiring. If they offer you a decent check to total it, do it.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Thank you for the concerns and helpful ideas.
I wont be fixing the car. Most likely I will be selling it but need to figure it out how I can do so. Or donate it for some tax benefits.