GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crap A/C issue

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So after clearing the DTC in the Hvac nothing came back?? You posted up the screenshots but what about any codes in Hvac.

Remember that you never did get the correct amount of refrigerant in to the system, you need to take care of that.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
So after clearing the DTC in the Hvac nothing came back?? You posted up the screenshots but what about any codes in Hvac.

Remember that you never did get the correct amount of refrigerant in to the system, you need to take care of that.

Nothing came back up. Codes are clean. And I cannot force any more refrigerant into it. It only got ~140g. I assume I need the compressor to do its job before it would take more freon.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Check your PM for instructions on charging with engine off comp off. Seeing that you are in Texas you surely must have reputable AC shops that can get a charge in the system.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Read over that one, thanks! Maaaaan, really trying to avoid going to a shop, mainly due to the fees. Probably cost me as much to get them to drain/fill as it would to buy a new compressor.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Yeah it sucks but AC is not something you can properly service without the correct equipment, also it is built to be filled by an AC service station with engine off, compressor off. It's even possible that the compressor stays at minimum compression until a proper amount of refrigerant is in the system to begin with

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
I FRIGGIN DID IT!!!! Goodbye 4 years of Texas summer heat with a window for A/C! Hello icey frost pouring from my vents!

So, to summarize what has gotten me here:
Looked back over all of my findings so far. Figured that at this point, there were only two things that could have failed. 1) The solenoid. I saw a video where high pressure on low side, and cooling slowly dying off are tip offs to this one. 2) The compressor. Less likely, seeing as to there were no fault codes found for the a/c system. So I poked around some more, and found that Amazon had the solenoid for ~$20. I figured it would not be too difficult to replace.

Set aside a few hours, and got to work. Had the system evacuated, and jacked it up. Removed the c-clip holding it in and realized mistake #1. Fans are in the way. Removed the fans, and popped the solenoid back in. I figured I need to replace the fans anyway, so I better figure out how to do it. Had my buddy assist with the refill, to make sure the weight was right. Used up the rest of the can I started last time, 150g in. It did not seem to fill too quick with the car off, but I did not want to run it dry. Cracked the second can and started the engine up. Started pulling off of the second bottle. Watched the gauges and the high side pressure started creeping up. Checked the vents, and sure enough, icey cold. I'm not gonna lie, I am a grown ass man. But I screamed like a newborn baby with joy. Finally, no more sweating for 45 minutes home every day. Thank you all for the guidance and patience, I greatly appreciate every minute you guys spent walking me through things.

Moral of the story: If you have no cool air, check your scan log. If no codes, check pressures. If you have even pressures on both sides, and the low side is higher than what it should be, spend the $20 to get a new solenoid and try it out. It's super simple and could save you quite a few bucks. Shop quoted me $1200 for a new compressor.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Glad you got the AC working again, if you get a chance can you take some screenshots of group 1-6 with AC running. Thanks

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Did not have a whole lot of time, but grabbed these when I had a second(on-call = good money, but no life). Engine/AC was only on for maybe a minute before I grabbed these. Trying not to run the compressor before I get the fans replaced.

Attachments

• 20190331_001318.jpg
    20190331_001318.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190331_001328.jpg
    20190331_001328.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 138

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Awesome! It paid finally :) were you able to put 525g?

If my calculations were correct, I got about 540g in there. I will probably take it to a shop and have them do a super proper evacuation and recharge so I can be sure it is dead on. My math skills are pretty bad.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I am wondering if your original issue was a low charge in system but not low enough to cause the G65 to complain(<2.0bar). When you evacuated the system for the first time what was the weight that was removed? We know the second time you did it the system had about what you put in 140g.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
I am wondering if your original issue was a low charge in system but not low enough to cause the G65 to complain(<2.0bar). When you evacuated the system for the first time what was the weight that was removed? We know the second time you did it the system had about what you put in 140g.

If I recall correctly, and this is just the number that sticks out in my head for some reason, but 165. If I recall, it was about the same as what we put in the first time. Because it made me doubt that the mechanic I took it to 2yrs ago filled it properly. He told me the compressor was shot and it would be ~$1200

Mjg1482

Car(s)
2007 mkv GTI
I FRIGGIN DID IT!!!! Goodbye 4 years of Texas summer heat with a window for A/C! Hello icey frost pouring from my vents!

So, to summarize what has gotten me here:
Looked back over all of my findings so far. Figured that at this point, there were only two things that could have failed. 1) The solenoid. I saw a video where high pressure on low side, and cooling slowly dying off are tip offs to this one. 2) The compressor. Less likely, seeing as to there were no fault codes found for the a/c system. So I poked around some more, and found that Amazon had the solenoid for ~$20. I figured it would not be too difficult to replace.

Set aside a few hours, and got to work. Had the system evacuated, and jacked it up. Removed the c-clip holding it in and realized mistake #1. Fans are in the way. Removed the fans, and popped the solenoid back in. I figured I need to replace the fans anyway, so I better figure out how to do it. Had my buddy assist with the refill, to make sure the weight was right. Used up the rest of the can I started last time, 150g in. It did not seem to fill too quick with the car off, but I did not want to run it dry. Cracked the second can and started the engine up. Started pulling off of the second bottle. Watched the gauges and the high side pressure started creeping up. Checked the vents, and sure enough, icey cold. I'm not gonna lie, I am a grown ass man. But I screamed like a newborn baby with joy. Finally, no more sweating for 45 minutes home every day. Thank you all for the guidance and patience, I greatly appreciate every minute you guys spent walking me through things.

Moral of the story: If you have no cool air, check your scan log. If no codes, check pressures. If you have even pressures on both sides, and the low side is higher than what it should be, spend the $20 to get a new solenoid and try it out. It's super simple and could save you quite a few bucks. Shop quoted me $1200 for a new compressor.
First off, I know it's been awhile, but belated congrats for fixing your ac problem! I wanted to thank you (and everyone else) for all this effort and info! I too have a 2007 GTI and been without ac for almost 3 years, thought I'd share the gist..
I remember when it cut out, it was gradually getting hotter until nothing (clue perhaps). "The clutch of the old compressor had melted and stuck open.. and there's some kind of leak coming from the compressor I think" was Goodyear's diagnosis. $1,750 for compressor, dryer, and supposedly a new relay. I kindly turned them down.
I'm not the most knowledgeable person with all this, just a gearhead that can navigate his way around a motor. Just a couple weeks ago I installed a new compressor, tx valve, condenser, dryer and ac pressure switch. I also had the system evacuated (obviously), leak tested prior to any work at a different shop (passed test), and returned to the shop to get recharged (failed 2nd test after parts installed).
The technician said the system is fully charged and has integrity (no leaks). All the seals were redone by the shop as I had some trouble (it's really a two man job when you disconnect that radiator support) with the condenser connect.
Yet after all that the compressor wouldn't engage. My larger fan turns on but hasn't gotten loud like a jet engine, its rather quiet. I've checked the fan connect, seems ok. Haven't seen the condenser fan run though.
I'm waiting for obd11 to arrive in a few days to pull all that fantastic info about the ac system.
I'm wondering if it's just some code I can clear and problem solved.
I'm gonna attach some gauges today at a friend's house just to see what the actual pressure level is high and low. I didn't get that info in detail at the auto shop (how much refrigerant they added), but I gave them the figures (525g+25, and added 4.7oz PAG 46 oil as compressor didn't come with oil in it).
I've yet to find any relay for the ac system, just fuse locations (two 40amp and one 10a by the door fuse box, one 20a fuse location under the hood), apparently not used in our model. It's seems the condenser fan may somehow determine whether the compressor engages, therefore the FCM (fan control module) is possibly pertinent to the ac system providing cold air, or so I've read and been told by a tech.
Since these compressors run constantly, that too points to that solenoid being the culprit. It's frustrating if the new compressor I installed had a faulty pressure solenoid (not the ac pressure switch).
I am curious about one part of your ac fixing adventure.. did you by chance determine if it was the new fan (some failure of the FCM perhaps), the pressure solenoid that's part of the compressor, or both. Id like to test if the fan really is that important, I have to decide if I want to evac the system all over again to install that solenoid, or go with a new fan. FCM alone $85 on ECS website, whole fan a bit more $150 maybe. Since I've replaced virtually everything else, except evaporator (a massive pita), it's down to these two possibilities. Your situation has helped me to wrap my head around the issue a bit better. Well see what happens.