GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crap A/C issue

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Man, you guys are truly incredible with the info! Looks like its gonna be a fun time! When re-charging from cans, I assume you just take it off when you feel you are close and weigh it to verify how much has been put in?

Something about using Cans and "Planning on evacuating/vacuuming/dying the system this weekend to see what crops up" is just not right, seems you are planning on venting to atmosphere. Not good or legal.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
No, not quite that professional. But he does have a huge tank he uses. Basically runs a shop out of his garage on weekends, lol. Huge VW head as well.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Ok then he should be able to deal with using cans to charge the system back to spec.........just not a lot of wiggle room to get the charge weight spot on with a +25grams or .80 oz difference.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Sad thing would be that it has nothing to do with the refrigerant but some issue with a module. That's why a complete scan is so handy.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Sad thing would be that it has nothing to do with the refrigerant but some issue with a module. That's why a complete scan is so handy.

I know :cry: I am actually now looking at getting that OBDEleven to see how that goes. Looks about the same, can long code, and it's hella cheaper

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
The person that's coming over the weekend that is a VW head does not have a proper scan tool to check before the work begins??

OBDeleven does cost less money and does a lot of things but I see that it does not have the support that Vcds has. A new basic Vcds can be had for $200 and used unlimited VIN for $100-$150. OBDeleven is like what close to $100 for the pro/upgrade version?

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Unfortunately not. He has only had older stuff and got by with vcds lite. Looks like $80 for the pro version. I did try a few of those contacts in my area on that map link, but nobody responded.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Boooooo.... So same numbers on the climatronic from before. Trying to fill it and it's pulling the freon in hella slow. Filling pressures are about 80. No compressor kicking on, no fans starting.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I have in the past used a container with warm water in it and placed the bottom of the can in the container to get the gas to flow out faster. Sometime I needed to change the water out because it will get cold.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
He tried that, but it essentially just balanced out around 80psi on hi/lo. Couldn't get any more to take. Wound up putting in only about 140g of freezy fluid. At no point did either he fan or compressor kick on, which is why I assume it wouldn't take more. If the solenoid was not working, would that cause this issue? Or since the compressor is getting the "run fast!" signal, it should be working? Makes me think the compressor is toast.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
But did you pull a vacuum? And then put only 140g??? When they did mine, the engine was off for the whole process and they put 530g in (with an AC service station, so I don't know if the machine put an additional pressure)

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
But did you pull a vacuum? And then put only 140g??? When they did mine, the engine was off for the whole process and they put 530g in.

Yes sir! Pulled a vacuum of about 20mmHg. We shut off the vacuum, and let it sit for about 15 min to verify the vacuum held. No leaking noticed there. After that, we turned the car on, a/c full blast and tried to fill. Barely moving. Tried turning the car off as well. It just would not take. We pet it go for a good 15 minutes and didn't even get through half a can.