GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant pressure too high

MichaelLambert07

Car(s)
Mk 5 gti
I was driving my car and I got a check coolant light, the radiator fans turn on and the coolant temp and level are good but when I take off the coolant cap it has a lot of pressure, not sure what it is if you guys have any idea

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
First of all, the cooling system is going to be under pressure when the engine is warm/hot. So, this is why it is not wise to remove the cap after the vehicle gets up to operating temperature. You could get yourself burned as the pressure will release and coolant will come out very rapidly. There is a possibility that the sensor in your overflow tank has gone bad. If the coolant level is fine (at the low mark when cold and the MAX mark when hot), and the light is still on, the level sensor is probably bad.

MichaelLambert07

Car(s)
Mk 5 gti
First of all, the cooling system is going to be under pressure when the engine is warm/hot. So, this is why it is not wise to remove the cap after the vehicle gets up to operating temperature. You could get yourself burned as the pressure will release and coolant will come out very rapidly. There is a possibility that the sensor in your overflow tank has gone bad. If the coolant level is fine (at the low mark when cold and the MAX mark when hot), and the light is still on, the level sensor is probably bad.
Thank you! The coolant level is as you described and I’m looking for a sensor online, probably going with ECS I’ll let you know

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you! The coolant level is as you described and I’m looking for a sensor online, probably going with ECS I’ll let you know
The sensor is part of the expansion tank, try cleaning the probes with a toothbrush when the system is cold and see if that fixes the issue if not a new tank is needed unless you have a wiring problem.

TonyHBomb

Car(s)
GTI
I've been a mechanic for 30 years and have sons who both run mobile mechanic businesses in SoCal and 2 of the 3 of us have run into this problem on VWs before. Get a new sensor. They're ridiculously cheap.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I've been a mechanic for 30 years and have sons who both run mobile mechanic businesses in SoCal and 2 of the 3 of us have run into this problem on VWs before. Get a new sensor. They're ridiculously cheap.

that sensor is part of the bottle. It’s not a separate part.