GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant leak MKV GTI 2009

TheDijon

Car(s)
MK5 GTI
Hey all! But new here. I'm looking at a coolant leak that appears to be accelerating. I got the car 2000km ago or so, had to top it up once, but now have had to top it up twice in two days.

Did my oil change and popped off the cover and took some pictures of where the coolant is coming from. It is coming from the top of that metal black metal cover. Any chance any of you know what that covers or what that is? I initially thought it was the aux. pump, but it doesn't appear to be coming from there. I checked the top of it and that's where it's coming from. Bit of a job to get to it, but far from impossible.

IMG_20210910_193903~2.jpg
IMG_20210910_193833.jpg
^^for clarity, at the bottom of this picture is the oil pan, as you can see. It's just covered in coolant
IMG_20210910_182055.jpg
On a sidenote, the missing bolt in the third picture just goes to the clutch, right? (Manual)

TheDijon

Car(s)
MK5 GTI
Self study programs 824803 https://procarmanuals.com/vag-ssp-824803-volkswagen-2-0-liter-chain-driven-tsi-engine/

Look at page 29 & 30 top is fine oil separator the one on the bottom is the primary

Lots of good info in that SSP
Apolgies for not getting back, I'm working on this bit by bit. Thank you so much for the info! I'm glad it's nothing to do with coolant, it narrows down what it could be. Also have to do a coolant flush since I had to use green coolant to top up when my resevoir emptied in the middle of nowhere

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Page 32 shows how the water pump is above the primary separator, as mentioned TSI are known for water pump issues and leaks. If you have a coolant pressure tester you could pressurize the system and locate the leak/s.