GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Convert Ipod Adapter to Aux Input - Here's how

garymathe

Nu B
This adapter is awesome! As far as I know this is the only way to hook up an iphone to the stereo and still be able to use the other features (e.g. making calls). It should work well with ipods to since the built-in adapter is really lame. I don't know why VW didn't go with a simple AUX input like on most cars in this price range. Anyway, mine won't be back in my car until I decide to sell it...

BTW You guys can also remove that little black plastic cover from the front of the arm rest, and lead the audio cable through there. Just push it out from the inside with one finger -- it has small clips holding it. This way you won't need to shut the arm rest on the cable(s). Note: some of you may not have one as I didn't see it in Samhooah's pictures (I believe he has a 2007 GTI), but 2008 base models have them for certain. As for the "gaping whole" inside the armrest, it is actually cool, cause you can store more stuff in there. Don't worry, you won't lose anything unless they're very very tiny things.

RIP Circuit City

Last edited:

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
I don't know why VW didn't go with a simple AUX input like on most cars in this price range.

They did. The iPod dock that you have instead is an option that costs a few hundred dollars. If you don't get it, then you get a plain old 1/8" stereo aux input.

b lorenz

I found DF-VW on e bay the other day ($40) and it came yesterday, just did the install, even easier than I had thought, took 2 minutes, works perfectly!

thnx to all for the info

bl

Azone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW Jetta MKV TD
Sorry to bump this thread, but I just snagged a DF-VW off of ebay for $20. Should be here this upcoming week.

I just wanted to know, how do you remove the existing iPod adapter? I haven't ever tried it before, but do you just pull it out, or are there any tabs or screws I need to worry about?

And by the ways, many thanks to the OP. I've been desperately looking for a way to get an aux connection in the car for months. At $20, this is a bargain. :happyanim:

crypto

Crypto-Designs.com
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
Sorry to bump this thread, but I just snagged a DF-VW off of ebay for $20. Should be here this upcoming week.

I just wanted to know, how do you remove the existing iPod adapter? I haven't ever tried it before, but do you just pull it out, or are there any tabs or screws I need to worry about?

And by the ways, many thanks to the OP. I've been desperately looking for a way to get an aux connection in the car for months. At $20, this is a bargain. :happyanim:

yeh just pull up on it and it'll come out

Azone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW Jetta MKV TD
Nice, I just tried it. A lot easier than I thought. :biggrin: Thanks!

brozema

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks for bumping! I would have never known about this considering I just got my GTI 3 weeks ago!

What was the seller's name? Do you know if he has more?

Last edited:

Azone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW Jetta MKV TD
Unfortunately he only had one and I can't find them anywhere else (company went out of business). However, I'm pretty sure the devices mentioned a few posts back would accomplish the same thing.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I've got the aux-in but want iPod. I'd be happy to trade with someone is it's that simple but I assume the wiring for the iPod adapter is a little more complicated.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
If it's that simple I'll take it but I have a feeling I don't have the proper wiring from the center console to the HU. An Aux line is very simple compared to a data bus for the iPOD. I assume I need the entire harness to run to the HU. What I really need is the MDI interface.

Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
THANK YOU GOD. i thought i was gonna have to rip out the entire stereo and do wiring or worse... pay VW to do it for me... now, anyone suggest a cheap place to get one of these since CC is obviously out of business???

edit: another question: everything I see says up to 2008 GTI, I have an 09, will this work for it?

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pievwaux.html

Last edited:

curiouskyle16

Ready to race!
Just did this and its awesome! anyone want to buy the oem ipod adaptor?

edit: to the poster above me that is the exact one i bought and it works great!