GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering Second Car...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Diesels are too expensive to maintain. Parts are pricy and they tend to have expensive failures here and there (fuel pumps, clutches, suspensions, fly wheels, timing belts etc)

If you want to save money. Buy a 2003+ Corolla with a timing chain, and drive the piss out of that. There is a reason that's like the #1 car in Afghanistan, you can't kill em.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
A second car is always more hassle and cost than its worth. I have dozens of personal examples. You bought the car to enjoy, drive it daily.

purefx

Passed Driver's Ed
My beater is my 04 Neon SRT-4. 140k on it, spent at most 2 g's on it since I paid it off 3 years ago, and that was all maintenance (timing belt, clutch and some other parts I optionally purchased for longevity while changing clutch). Find the right car man it won't cost you too much. The neon's exactly as fast as the R, less comfy and nice inside but I have coilovers on it, so there are more comfortable options there for ride quality. So my beater is just as fast as my R, still gets 30+ mpg. I know it's not diesel numbers, but overall it's been a pretty cheap car. Not suggesting an SRT-4, just saying you find a decent car maintenance shouldn't be a huge issue. That said, sometimes I do get tired of having to deal with 2 cars and the Golf spoils me...

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'm leaning towards just driving the hell outta my R... Maybe it's this warm non-skiable winter weather getting to my head and I'm just bored, but I am considering it and appreciate all the ideas you have shared.

I could probably get this for like $1300-$1400, if he doesn't sell it right away...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5933551-cheap-83-diesel-nj-1900

Edit:It's OK to tell me I am fucking nuts for even thinking of it lol

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Dude you'd drive a bum mobile that is not reliable over a brand new golf... That thing is 30 years old with over 200k miles.

20 years from now you'll look back and say, fuck I was stupid.

life is too short to drive that kind of POS when you have the money to drive something nice.

All in all you won't be saving all that much money.

myMK6fool

Ready to race!
If you do decide to go 2nd car. I would go Subaru or Toyota. I love VWs, but their not as reliable as the aforementioned. My brother had a late model '80s Subaru w/ over 200k. He drove it solid for a year before he had to get the clutch replaced. Then he got a DUI and traded his car in for a bicycle.

Honestly though. If you do - go reliable. You don't want maintenance expenses.

meph

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 UG GTI
I always had 2 cars. I sold them all and got the R, I drive about as much as you do. I got the car Nov 20 and today it's at 4000 miles.

I agree with the points maxtdi made. The money you save on gas it won't cover the extra car,+ maintenance + insurance. Also the value of the car is only going down. More in the fist 2 years than the rest.

Then that car wont have all the options and comforts you want so, you will think about upgrading it or modding it.

Not to mention that you drive so much, the chances of you being involved in an accident is significantly higher, and I don't think the safety standards of a mk2 - mk3 are up to par.

You bought the car because you wanted to enjoy it. It sitting in the garage depreciating on your wallet just so that some one will get a screaming deal on a 2013 R with 50k miles 3 years down the road, makes no sense. Just enjoy it.

If you want a second car to tinker with , don't lie to yourself into thinking it's to preserve the R.
I myself am looking for a A4 on the cheap so i can strip track. But the R is still going to be the daily mule.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Dude you'd drive a bum mobile that is not reliable over a brand new golf... That thing is 30 years old with over 200k miles.

20 years from now you'll look back and say, fuck I was stupid.

life is too short to drive that kind of POS when you have the money to drive something nice.

All in all you won't be saving all that much money.

You are right, I might look back and say I was stupid... no disputing that:laugh:

I guess I just see those old dubs and have a soft spot for 'em. Every car show I always gravitate towards the mk1's first and move on from there. At WF I must have watched this mk1 GTI do 5 auto-x runs and got a chubby each time. A lot of you guys are more "car guy" than "dubber". Frankly, I've learned more about other cars on this forum than anywhere else from guys like you, and I appreciate that. So, when you see POS, I see POH (piece of history) and see a connection between old vs. new. So I guess I am realizing there is more than just economics at play here... I mean just look at all the VW Koolaid I drink!

If you do decide to go 2nd car. I would go Subaru or Toyota. I love VWs, but their not as reliable as the aforementioned. My brother had a late model '80s Subaru w/ over 200k. He drove it solid for a year before he had to get the clutch replaced. Then he got a DUI and traded his car in for a bicycle.

Honestly though. If you do - go reliable. You don't want maintenance expenses.

Sorry, I know, that totally sux but it made me laugh:laugh:

I hope your bro is getting back on track:thumbsup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Not to mention that you drive so much, the chances of you being involved in an accident is significantly higher, and I don't think the safety standards of a mk2 - mk3 are up to par.

Very good points except for this^

Story time;)

In 1998 I bought an '89 Golf with 140k miles for $500. I even lived out of that car for a while. It was driving down the twisty River Rd to my job waiting tables in New Hope, PA (interesting place!) that I fell in love with the handling of the golf and the German engineering.

Sadly, I flipped my dark blue mkII, literally, on a cold dark night in the hills of historic Bucks County. Knowing I went off the road I closed my eyes, I clutched the steering wheel for dear life and said my prayers. Upon opening my eyes and releasing my grip on the steering wheel, to my amazement, my head hit the roof... That's when I realized I was upside down and trees were blocking my exit on either side.

After using the illumination of my candybar cellphone, I saw the back passenger window was my only way out. So, I pulled myself out the back passenger side window, sat on the bottom of car (which was now on top), brushed the glass out of my sleeves & collar, and noticed that it was a mere 2" diameter maple sapling that was holding my poor Golf from falling 50+ feet over a cliff into a stream. It was then an angel descended from the heavens and told me I will alway be safe in a 'dub.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
^Yes! Hilarious!

In any case, I am going to put a little rigor into the economics behind this... how to calculate depreciation???

i.e. Depreciation of R if I drive 35k/yr vs 12k/yr?

Let me help you with that...
After 3 years ... and 36 k a year your R will be worth about 22K
After 3 years and 105k your R will be worth about 15 and you'll need a timing belt done as well.

So all in all prob an extra 7k, and over 3 years... $194 a month... :thumbsup:

GSXR

Passed Driver's Ed
If you get a cheap Honda, you can save money because they just don't depreciate much. I used to have a Honda Civic Si hatch that I drove for several years that I sold for $200 less than I paid. Maintanance was cheap. I just replaced the alternator and battery and otherwise it was super reliable.

Now the GTI is my commuter and it's definitely not saving me money. I ran the numbers and it was costing me a little but I just like to have a spare car.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Let me help you with that...
After 3 years ... and 36 k a year your R will be worth about 22K
After 3 years and 105k your R will be worth about 15 and you'll need a timing belt done as well.

So all in all prob an extra 7k, and over 3 years... $194 a month... :thumbsup:

Ah, excellent! Thank you, sir!

So I just calced gas savings of driving a diesel assuming the following:
400 miles/week
49 weeks/yr (~3 weeks vacation)
$4/gal (both diesel & 93)
25.5 mpg for R on the commute (based off my driving)
40 mpg for the diesel (i figure this is actually conservative and realistically it may be a bit higher)

Over 3 years, that will yield ~$3,600 in savings.

Assuming, the 7k in depreciation savings is about right, that is 11.6k over 3 years. Thus cost of diesel beater + ins + maint has to be less than 11.6k in 3 years of ownership.

Doable?