GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Confused about Timing Belt Service

NikH

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I will be the first to admit that I know little to nothing about motors so if I say something stupid, then feel free to correct me.

I have a 2008 GTI and it has been a fantastic car. I bought it new and now my daughter is driving it as her first her car. It has 102K on it. I am being told that I really need to do the timing belt service as it is critically important. I am being told that if the timing belt fails, then the engine is toast. I did some initial research and it appears that the service requires a few things
  1. Replacement of the belt itself
  2. Replace the tensioners and idlers
  3. Replace the water pump
  4. Replace seals and the such.
I have been quoted by two dealers. Price is about the same at both which is what I expected. They both quoted around $1,500 for parts and service.

I was then told by a couple of people not to go to the dealer and to find a shop that focuses on German automobiles. I did that and called one place and had a really long conversation with the owner. Super nice guy but he told me some things that no one else did. I really can't do it justice but he told me that the belt, tensioners, etc. are only one part. He told me there are things to be done on the opposite side of the motor to do with one of the camshafts. I didn't understand it all but in a nutshell he said that only one of the cams were driven by the belt and the other was driven by a chain and that also needed service. The cost for doing it this way was only slightly more than the dealer at $1,650. However, he said that SOMETIMES there is a fixing bolt on a camshaft that binds. If that occurs, then it has to be drilled out and the cam has to be replaced which raises the price.

I have tried researching this but come up empty. The owner seemed pretty genuine and helpful and he has a ton of positive reviews on both Google and Yelp.

I am hoping that people here have a better understanding of what he is referring to and can help guide me to a direction.

Thanks in advance

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Yes you should take care of the timing belt on this FSI GTI at 12years and over 100k miles I would say its time. Here is a Pdf for what is involved so you can see if it something you can handle or not. http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...agen_2.0T_FSI_Timing_Belt_Installation_R1.pdf

As for the "drive chain" and tensioner on the drivers side of the engine that is a different thing and really need some specialized tools to perform the job. VW does not have any time or mileage guidelines for when they needs to be replaced. Most wait tell the start hearing it making noise and then have it replaced. For what is involved with that can be found here and some of the issues people have had. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...ck-D-I-Y-Cam-Chain-and-Tensioner-*BPY-engines

NikH

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Yes you should take care of the timing belt on this FSI GTI at 12years and over 100k miles I would say its time. Here is a Pdf for what is involved so you can see if it something you can handle or not. http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...agen_2.0T_FSI_Timing_Belt_Installation_R1.pdf

As for the "drive chain" and tensioner on the drivers side of the engine that is a different thing and really need some specialized tools to perform the job. VW does not have any time or mileage guidelines for when they needs to be replaced. Most wait tell the start hearing it making noise and then have it replaced. For what is involved with that can be found here and some of the issues people have had. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...ck-D-I-Y-Cam-Chain-and-Tensioner-*BPY-engines
Really appreciate the help

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
Was that a typo? $1500 for a cambelt and water pump refresh o_O

I don't know about the rest of the world but in the UK, dealers charge £549 ($700) for that job, which includes stretch bolts, G13 coolant, 2 year warranty and wash/vac.

Yes the other guy you spoke to is correct about the chain/tensioner, and the VVT adjuster (aka cam phaser) bolt head rounding out. The symptom of a worn cam chain/tensioner is a diesel like chatter at hot idle in the cabin, windows closed, HVAC switched off.

NikH

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Thanks for your post

Sad but true about the price. It is crazy in the US...

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
You have my sympathy because it's an easy job and the parts are cheap. 4 hours book time. $1500 is extortion.

If you're in for that kind of money because you can't do the job yourself, I would be tempted to give the business to the other guy and get the chain and tensioner done as well.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Just to add something...I've seen one who was unable to loosen the VVT bolt. He instead removed the intake cam's bearing-caps to free the intake cam to replace the chain.

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah that's one way around the problem. It adds quite a bit of time in labour and expensive cam girdle sealant though!

The trick is to use a genuine VW polydrive bit, a long breaker bar and an assistant to push hard on the breaker bar whilst you crack it free. For such a tiny bolt, it has a huge crack free torque figure. Such is the way with counter sunk bolt heads.....more grip.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes...more work but one other way, LOL. If I remember correctly...the guy wa only trying a small impact gun. Breaker bar and help keeping the bit in the head of the bolt would be my preference.
I've always thought it seems tight for only being 20Nm(15 lb*ft) plus another 45°(1/8th turn).