GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

computer crysis

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
So I went and built a computer in prep for doom3. everything was wrapped around a chunky graphics card... spent about $1.2k and the thing rocks... but then played Doom3 and was real disappointed. Could have just played it on the xbox and enjoyed it there.

Sooo - sold the computer and bought a laptop. Now I've seen the Imac 24" and it's really impressive. Quite keen but thinking Crysis and wondering if other's here are thinking the same thing. What will it take to play that game ? Do I just outlay $2.5k for the Imac or build another kick-arse graphics workhorse again for about half the price and snap a 36-42" LCD ?

Not sure when I'll get the time to play as I've a baby daughter turning 2 months old this saturday. My how life's changed.

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
08 Lexus ISF
Just a tip: Building a pc for just a specific game, is by far the worse mistake possible. Many people do that and end up regretting it.

Wait for the game to come out, play it and read the reviews as to what pc specs were used to accomplish X settings. Most likely among the reviews you'll specs from high end pc, to budget pcs. I would recommend the in-between specs.

A good source for reviews are forums and those gaming sites btw.

Hope that helps.

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
Just a tip: Building a pc for just a specific game, is by far the worse mistake possible. Many people do that and end up regretting it.

Wait for the game to come out, play it and read the reviews as to what pc specs were used to accomplish X settings. Most likely among the reviews you'll specs from high end pc, to budget pcs. I would recommend the in-between specs.

A good source for reviews are forums and those gaming sites btw.

Hope that helps.

Cheers... it kind of does. I build computers whenever I need to upgrade so held off to build a graphics workhorse in anticipation of doom3. I also mix music and do photoshop work with the pc so it has to be able to crunch large numbers effortlessly (stitching 20+ 10mp photos at a go takes a while unless you've got a decent machine).

So - thanks. Guess I should have posted this on a dedicated geek site but I know there's a few gamers here who know their tech.

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
08 Lexus ISF
Cheers... it kind of does. I build computers whenever I need to upgrade so held off to build a graphics workhorse in anticipation of doom3. I also mix music and do photoshop work with the pc so it has to be able to crunch large numbers effortlessly (stitching 20+ 10mp photos at a go takes a while unless you've got a decent machine).

So - thanks. Guess I should have posted this on a dedicated geek site but I know there's a few gamers here who know their tech.
My personal opinion, and i'm no inet geek.

Have a seperate pc/laptop for each seperate task. It's easier and less hassle. It's more space consuming but you will appreciate it. Use a laptop for say your music. I use my laptop for DJing at clubs, should I choose to megamix, or need to perform specific shows, and us it to edit certain tracks quickly. If you mix music, depending on what you use, traktor dj [ what i use ], mixmeister, virtual DJ, just get something reasonable. I have a tablet Acer and have yet to have any run ins, a decent external sound card will do the trick. Either go with M-Audio if you're a purest, or Creative Labs Audigy ZS [ i believe it's that, a newer one XiFi will work amazingly well too.

You don't need more than 2 gigs of ram, and ram are cheap to get, simply go to www.slickdeals.net 2 gig should run you about 100 bucks [ laptop prices ].

For your gaming rig, you can combine that with your photoeditting, that way it will save you the space. I'm sure you're experienced enough to know what parts to look out for, but this will at least seperate your music and gaming / editting.

If you need any insight or help, just post or pm me.

Cheers!

walangij

D1 2010!
To play crysis I'm pretty sure you'll need a DX10 card, so the nVidia 8xxx series should all work. Like the others have said, waiting till reviews are out would be best.

Lucidity

Marx
Well the first thing I would have to say to you would be; Don't buy a mac if you like to game. Next I would wait till more DX10 cards come out, and possible the 4 core cpus. There is no point in laying down big money on a machine that will be instantly outdated. Keep watch on sites like this www.bit-tech.net so you can know what is the latest hardware and how it performs.

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
My personal opinion, and i'm no inet geek.

Have a seperate pc/laptop for each seperate task. It's easier and less hassle. It's more space consuming but you will appreciate it. Use a laptop for say your music. I use my laptop for DJing at clubs, should I choose to megamix, or need to perform specific shows, and us it to edit certain tracks quickly. If you mix music, depending on what you use, traktor dj [ what i use ], mixmeister, virtual DJ, just get something reasonable. I have a tablet Acer and have yet to have any run ins, a decent external sound card will do the trick. Either go with M-Audio if you're a purest, or Creative Labs Audigy ZS [ i believe it's that, a newer one XiFi will work amazingly well too.

You don't need more than 2 gigs of ram, and ram are cheap to get, simply go to www.slickdeals.net 2 gig should run you about 100 bucks [ laptop prices ].

For your gaming rig, you can combine that with your photoeditting, that way it will save you the space. I'm sure you're experienced enough to know what parts to look out for, but this will at least seperate your music and gaming / editting.

If you need any insight or help, just post or pm me.

Cheers!

All good advice and greatly appreciated. I currently work with a laptop (ripped-out the ram and HD when I first bought it and upgraded as far as possible at the time - 2gb ram / 80 gb sata for the hd). The media server (about 1 tb worth of space) is a tame P4 working with 1gb ram, and dedicated sound and graphics cards which are enough chop to play movies/music to my liking. That's all stored in an altec server case connected to my amp and tv. Everything's connected wirelessly (including the printer) to the adsl2+ line so I can pretty much work anywhere around the house / yard / neighbour's place ;)... which is handy if you're looking to be creative and it's a beautiful day outside. Or if you mix during the night and couldn't be arsed getting out of bed to check the internet - which is where I'm holed-up at the moment - stretched out under the doona with the laptop. Might have to get up for a coffee shortly ;)

I don't really DJ... did a bit of turntable work back in the late 80's - early 90's but these days my output's all PC-based weaving soundwaves through ACID. Need to make the switch to Abelton.

My style's intended for headphones as I screw around a lot with spatial dimensions. Here's a recent render of a project I'm currently working on :

www.dreamingeye.com/zoonimalmix.mp3

You'll need to listen to it through headphones to get the best result. I've downsampled this version too - so the spatial acuity/quality will be much better in the final 320bit render being made for CD.

Cheers again and hehe... nappies. Yeah - blew a fair amount of cash on about 30 baby beehind cloth nappies. Damn high-tech stuff but well worth the outlay. Would recommend these for any impending parent. Oh - and about 3 months off work when the baby's first born for the father otherwise you'll go mad. Mine was born on Saturday and I went back in to work on Tuesday (far too surreal. Stayed a couple of hours and took the rest of the week off).

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
Well the first thing I would have to say to you would be; Don't buy a mac if you like to game. Next I would wait till more DX10 cards come out, and possible the 4 core cpus. There is no point in laying down big money on a machine that will be instantly outdated. Keep watch on sites like this www.bit-tech.net so you can know what is the latest hardware and how it performs.

Cheers dude... I totally agree with what you're saying - except for the mac. I thought the new macs can run windows seamlessly ie : no worries with regards to games ? Could be wrong there. Know what you mean about the quad-core machines and DX10. I have a sapphire radeon 9800xt card that was the central card the doom3 machine was wrapped-around sitting on a shelf gathering dust at the moment because my media server's motherboard's too old (P4 1.2?) and it'd be using a laser cannon to kill an ant if I dropped that in the server ;)

DT EXP

Chewing Gum & Kicking Azz
Car(s)
2009 TiG
Doom 3 is pretty old.. pretty much anything from the past 3-4 years should be able to run...

I think I played that game on my old AMD 2700+ with 1gig of 2400 and a Gforce 5200 128 RAM...

Couldn't play it on Super High, but it ran fine...

Computer of today

AMD FX-62
2 Gigs of DDR2
Dual 8800 GTS
(3) 74 GIG Raptors in Raid Zero
Water Cooled, and Running a 30" Dell Moniter....

Lucidity

Marx
Cheers dude... I totally agree with what you're saying - except for the mac. I thought the new macs can run windows seamlessly ie : no worries with regards to games ? Could be wrong there. Know what you mean about the quad-core machines and DX10. I have a sapphire radeon 9800xt card that was the central card the doom3 machine was wrapped-around sitting on a shelf gathering dust at the moment because my media server's motherboard's too old (P4 1.2?) and it'd be using a laser cannon to kill an ant if I dropped that in the server ;)

They may be able to run windows, but the way that they do it is not very effective. Frame rates are a good bit lower on basic games like HL2 based ones, so imagine the effect of something that is DX10 with vista in the background.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
i slapped a new desktop together in january.

core2duo e4300
2gb PC 6400 DDR2
2x250gb WD2500KS
asus x1650pro -> came with GTI racing!!
DVD writer
new case
a decent PSU

spent like $1200CAD after tax including vista home premium. nice little machine but now i hardly use it.. :)