GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutchless ignition update: solved (maybe)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Or you could switch to open source. And not have to push the clutch to start like me 😉

Damn, that's neat-o.

Now if only we could get open source to make it so you don't have to press the clutch to shift 🤣

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Damn, that's neat-o.

Now if only we could get open source to make it so you don't have to press the clutch to shift 🤣
So no lift shift is not an option here?

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
Im planning on ordering the mount through shapeways but know nothing about the material options. Would PA12 (MJF) be a good material? Or is there a better choice?

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk8 gti
I'm still curious why you can't temporarily jump the wires on the clutch position sensor. I know someone said that permanently jumping them caused an error code but what if a relay was used to just jump it for a few seconds?

Dubbguy

Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
SELECT 03 Abs Brakes > adv measuring values > then type "clutch" into the search and select both the results. One monitors the slightly pressed position and the other monitors the full press. Both have to be triggered for no error starts and then both have to be deactivated after starting.

Push the clutch in and watch the screen and youll see which is which.
After putting in my 3rd aftermarket clutch, crank walk at 46K, new engine and turbo installed, still using

VW Clutch Kit Assembly - DKM MB034060

I have my solenoid mounted up, but not wired up yet. After rolling up some duct tape and supporting behind the solenoid for the correct angle to be achieved. I can manually press it and start the car successfully. I use it in the mornings for first start. The only thing is, i get a EPC code pop up until i start it normally the next time. I believe it is the retraction is not far enough away due to my magnet placement.

Last edited:

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have another source for the solenoid or recommend a comparable solenoid? Testco has a new thing now where they have a $50 minimum purchase whether you buy online or in person. The solenoid is $22.43; the spring kit is $15. I have to waste an additional $12.57 just to purchase this. I'm not a fan of this business practice.

I found these two solenoids on Amazon:
24v 10mm stroke
12v 10mm stroke

I can't tell if the Ledex 195207-225 is 12v or 24v; and what the stroke is with the alternate spring kit. Would either of those solenoids work or is the stroke too short?

I already ordered the bracket from shapeways so I'd like to try and find a solenoid that will work with it and those two from Amazon have similar dimensions.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk8 gti
Does anyone have another source for the solenoid or recommend a comparable solenoid? Testco has a new thing now where they have a $50 minimum purchase whether you buy online or in person. The solenoid is $22.43; the spring kit is $15. I have to waste an additional $12.57 just to purchase this. I'm not a fan of this business practice.

I found these two solenoids on Amazon:
24v 10mm stroke
12v 10mm stroke

I can't tell if the Ledex 195207-225 is 12v or 24v; and what the stroke is with the alternate spring kit. Would either of those solenoids work or is the stroke too short?

I already ordered the bracket from shapeways so I'd like to try and find a solenoid that will work with it and those two from Amazon have similar dimensions.
What if you buy enough to make the min then sell here?

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
So I finally got around to completing this DIY but don't have consistent functionality. I ended up having shapeways print the mount packatorch provided and I chose plastic for the material. I think plastic was a bad idea.

For those that have done this, can you answer this question: when the solenoid is activated and the plunger extends out, do the magnets make contact with the clutch position sensor preventing the plunger from fully extending? And is this OK? Or should the solenoid be re-positioned away from the clutch position sensor, so the plunger can fully extend with the magnets just barely making contact with the sensor?

Since my mount is made of plastic, when the plunger is activated and the magnets make contact with the clutch position sensor, the mount flexes a bit so the position of the solenoid moves a bit so it's really difficult to get consistent functionality. Sometimes, only 1 sensor gets activated. Sometimes, the sensors get activated in the wrong order which prevents starting. It's really frustrating. I am using (2) 6mm diameter x 3mm thick magnets from this set I purchased: click me

With a steel mount, I dont think this would be a problem. But on the other hand, if the plunger were able to extend all the way without the magnets hitting the clutch position sensor, the mount wouldn't causing alignment problems. I'm debating trying to make my own mount and re-position the solenoid about 5-8mm away to allow full extension so the magnets just barely touch the sensor.

Thoughts?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Hi again everyone. Long time no see. Nice to see some activity on this mod.

Right now marks exactly 3 years I've had it installed. It still works perfectly 99.99% of the time. I recently finally had to spray a little silicone onto the solenoid rod because it had gotten gummed up with footwell schmeg and was struggling to fire on occasion. With that done its perfect again.

Props to the guy who made the updated mount.

To the guy who asked about if the magnets actually make contact with the clutch housing when the rod extends, mine doesn't but it's so close the gap is probably under a nanometer. Oh and yea I don't think you want plastic for it. I went with steel because it was cheap enough and I figured if it needed modification, that would make more sense and hold up better.

Someone asked if the brake needs to be pressed in to make it work? It definitely does not.

Carry on.