GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch upgrade for the manual guys

Maximum6

FASTER
I am curious what clutch upgrade do the manual guys here use for their stage 1 and stage 2, etc. ?

Even if you're stock power, did you upgrade to endure track days?

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
With stage 1/2 you probably won't need a new clutch for driving events unless you're very rough on it. The stock FSI clutch is good and won't slip at stage 2 torque levels unless abused.

For K04 and higher, people run a variety of clutches mostly with very mixed results. I'm looking into the FX725 for my own car which has a K04 and will soon have a bigger turbo.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
My clutch started slipping with stg 1 tune, the torque increase is simply too much for stock.

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
Had the Clutchmasters FX200 in my MKV. I put about 20000mi on it before I sold the car. Plenty of grab and just slightly stiffer than stock. Great upgrade for street and track if you are getting slippage.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Stock here at 100K miles, 50K+ tuned and maybe 10 AutoX days plus many launches. Still holding strong here. When I do upgrade though, I will be going with the RSR kit. Heard nothing but good things about it

Zack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I've been stage 2+ On my 07 Fsi for about 40k miles and my stock clutch seems to take the everyday beating pretty well. It does slip on certain days and I can't really explain why but most days it grabs as well as any clutch. I've heard of a lot of aftermarket clutches failing around the forums no matter what brand you buy. I wish we had a more reliable source of aftermarket clutches. I would say anyone running stage 2+ or lower should be fine with an oem clutch. The aftermarket clutches may grab better but the life span of my oem clutch has really impressed me. I wouldn't doubt that the aftermarket clutches and the oem clutches have the same lifespan regardless of which one grabs better. Correct me if I'm wrong but is there anyone here that has been running an aftermarket clutch for more than 40k miles on any tune? If so, I would love to hear more about it being that I plan on going f23t or k04 soon.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
A professionally installed DXD or ClutchMasters kit should easily last 80-100k. I sold my 08 GTI with 60k on the SB stage 2 endurance, it took about 40 track events on K04 and is still going strong.

Zack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
A professionally installed DXD or ClutchMasters kit should easily last 80-100k. I sold my 08 GTI with 60k on the SB stage 2 endurance, it took about 40 track events on K04 and is still going strong.

Nice! It worked out very well for you I see. I've heard some horror stories about each of the clutch brands and I've heard some success stories but haven't had any personal experience with them because of this. I just feel that it is hit or miss with them from what I hear. I'm sure having a clutch professionally installed would make it more reliable or less likely to fail.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Not necessarily. Techs make mistakes all the time but a reputable shop is your best bet.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Yup, and from experience one way to guarantee a mess up is to hang out in the shop and blab with the tech while they work on your car.