GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch or Mechatronic

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
I had a problem in my car last week, the RPM went high up to 1500~2000rpm and the car didn't move which is clearly DSG slipping then it back again to normal but I feel no torque or power in the low RPM from standstill to ~2000RPM.
I got this fault 19143 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement
P2711 - 004 - - Intermittent

I thought it is time for new clutches.

2 days ago, I was driving the car on D mode for few miles then switched to S mode, after few seconds I got the PRNDS light flashing :frown: the gearbox went in to fail-safe mode when the PRNDS light start to flash and the gearbox remain in fail-safe (limited function) mode until I cycled the ignition again then the car move normally on D mode and I didn't try the S mode.
I got this fault 19143 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement
P2711 - 004 - - Intermittent

Error 19143-1.jpg

I did gearbox basic settings successfully and when I was doing the road test the PRNDS light flashing appears again with the fail-safe mode behavior :mad:
After reading about the fault it seems it is a Mechatronic issue.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/19143/P2711/010001

I know that VW dealers replace the mechatronic if it is not replaced before or if it is still in warranty but this will never happen here in my country. So, the other way is to get a used DSG gearbox or a used mechatronic only.

I had a plan for AWD swap but the budget is not enough for the time being and no time to park the car until the swap finished, so the swap is not an option now!

I heard that you can reprogram the (TCU) gearbox ECU instead of rebuild it or replace it, but I have no info about that.

I have Revo DSG stage2 and for sure I will lose it once I replace the mechatronic! Another extra cost :cry:

Here is the DSG details:

DSG Advanced ID.jpg

All thoughts and ideas are welcome!
Thx

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I had a problem in my car last week, the RPM went high up to 1500~2000rpm and the car didn't move which is clearly DSG slipping then it back again to normal but I feel no torque or power in the low RPM from standstill to ~2000RPM.
I got this fault 19143/P2711/010001 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement
I thought it is time for new clutches.

2 days ago, I was driving the car on D mode for few miles then switched to S mode, after few seconds I got the PRNDS light flashing :frown: the gearbox went in to fail-safe mode when the PRNDS light start to flash and the gearbox remain in fail-safe (limited function) mode until I cycled the ignition again then the car move normally on D mode and I didn't try the S mode.
I got this fault 19143/P2711/010001 - Unexpected / Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement

View attachment 96073

I did gearbox basic settings successfully and when I was doing the road test the PRNDS light flashing appears again with the fail-safe mode behavior :mad:
After reading about the fault it seems it is a Mechatronic issue.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/19143/P2711/010001

I know that VW dealers replace the mechatronic if it is not replaced before or if it is still in warranty but this will never happen here in my country. So, the other way is to get a used DSG gearbox or a used mechatronic only.

I had a plan for AWD swap but the budget is not enough for the time being and no time to park the car until the swap finished, so the swap is not an option now!

I heard that you can reprogram the (TCU) gearbox ECU instead of rebuild it or replace it, but I have no info about that.

I have Revo DSG stage2 and for sure I will lose it once I replace the mechatronic! Another extra cost :cry:

Here is the DSG details:

View attachment 96074

All thoughts and ideas are welcome!
Thx

Buy Mechtronics and replace it since you don't have access to a dealer in your country seems like the right choice. It is a part you can buy, probably about 1000-1200 dollars U.S. Install at shop is probably about 3hrs or so.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
I believe vw extended the warranty for the mech to 100k or 120k but I don't remember

The dealer will never do it here :mad:

Buy Mechtronics and replace it since you don't have access to a dealer in your country seems like the right choice. It is a part you can buy, probably about 1000-1200 dollars U.S. Install at shop is probably about 3hrs or so.

I will install the new clutches first and inspect my gearbox, maybe it is only the clutches or another mechanical thing and not the mechatronic :iono:

P2711 we have a tsb for, any trans under 19k miles we must diagnose a little more but over 19k is determined to have debris in the fluid and requires clutch and cover replacement.

Hopefully it will end up by clutches replacement and oil change. Do you think this fault will end up by that?!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The dealer will never do it here :mad:

I will install the new clutches first and inspect my gearbox, maybe it is only the clutches or another mechanical thing and not the mechatronic :iono:

Hopefully it will end up by clutches replacement and oil change. Do you think this fault will end up by that?!

I could be wrong but what you describe sounds more like an engagement issue, rather than slipping, which would be mechtronics. Here in the U.S. the cost of replacing clutches with labor and parts is going to be about 2000 dollars. I would only replace them if you happen to be coincidentally installing an LSD or something and have to pull and open up the trans. Mech unit is replaced without removing or opening the trans.

Check in with DonJuan before spending any time/money.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
I could be wrong but what you describe sounds more like an engagement issue, rather than slipping, which would be mechtronics. Here in the U.S. the cost of replacing clutches with labor and parts is going to be about 2000 dollars. I would only replace them if you happen to be coincidentally installing an LSD or something and have to pull and open up the trans. Mech unit is replaced without removing or opening the trans.

Check in with DonJuan before spending any time/money.

The cost here for clutches is much cheaper than US. Also I have the OEM basket and SSP one. So it's better to try it first because mechatronic it around 1500$ if I found a good one.

-------
Philosophy Of Eagles: Eagles flies only with eagles!

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Ive only done clutches for 2711.

So, it's common to change the clutches when you have fault 2711?

I need your help regarding clutch shimming. Is it possible to use the same shim size when I replace the clutches? I think the same shim size will be correct or I am wrong?!

-------

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The cost here for clutches is much cheaper than US. Also I have the OEM basket and SSP one. So it's better to try it first because mechatronic it around 1500$ if I found a good one.

-------

Looks like I was wrong anyway. DonJuan says clutches. Have you done your homework on the SSP clutches, for some reason folks say they are problematic without a proper DSG tune for them?

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
I have an open channel with Kris from SSP and I won't open my gearbox until everything is clear, I have Revo DSG stage2 tune.
The main problem that I faced with SSP that you can't use the 2004 or 2005 clutch basket because it's different than the other one. I have the SSP kit from July 2014 and I discovered this issue after 7 or 8 failed trials [emoji57]

-------

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
So, it's common to change the clutches when you have fault 2711?

I need your help regarding clutch shimming. Is it possible to use the same shim size when I replace the clutches? I think the same shim size will be correct or I am wrong?!

-------

There's a special tool that's used when determining the correct shim. When you order the "shim" kit at the dealer it will come with I think 10 different thicknesses.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I have the tools, I ordered it last year to make sure I will install the proper shim. And yes the kit come with 10 different shim and I have it.
But, I am expecting that the same shim size can be used when replacing the clutches.

-------

The thickness will change. New clutches won't have any wear compared to your current clutches