GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning painted wheels

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Hey guys,

I'm about to have a set of custom painted wheels. I have been a little bit worried about how to go about cleaning them though. I know with my stock denvers I just scrub the hell out of them and it's fine but with a custom paint job what should I do? They are being professionally painted but I'm not positive if they're getting clear coated (most likely yes). Will I scratch the paint off/corrode it off with certain cleaning products??

Also, should I seal the wheels when I get them. Thanks guys.

Matt

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Should I seal them though? Does it make a difference or not since they're painted?

VBMikeP

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 door GTI
I've used Poorboy's wheel sealant as well as Wheel Wax and wasn't impressed by either. This was done to denvers and I didn't notice a difference in ease of cleaning or dust prevention. I think you're best bet is just gonna be a microfiber sponge + soap and water. I don't find it too hard to clean my wheels if they're done weekly prior to doing the rest of my car to keep the buildup of dust down.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I've used Poorboy's wheel sealant as well as Wheel Wax and wasn't impressed by either. This was done to denvers and I didn't notice a difference in ease of cleaning or dust prevention. I think you're best bet is just gonna be a microfiber sponge + soap and water. I don't find it too hard to clean my wheels if they're done weekly prior to doing the rest of my car to keep the buildup of dust down.

Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Will do.

FliGi7

Ready to race!
I've found that the combination of Optimum Opti-Seal (sealant) and Duraglos #105 is an awesome combo for wheels. I applied Opti-Seal, waited a day, then applied DG 105 and let it cure for a day as well on my new wheels. Took my wheels to the tire shop and those wheel weights that will stick to anything forever wouldn't hold on for anything. They literally just fell off after trying to stick them on. They had to use rubbing alcohol to clean off the protection so the weights even had a chance of sticking. That should be a testament of the protection provided.

If you don't want to order online, which you have to do for the Optimum stuff, just pick up some DG at the store, or even Meguiar's #21 v2.0. The key is two applications a day apart for even and maximum coverage. Then, just treat it like your cars paint. Wash them with mild soap and water frequently.

yiannisgti

Passed Driver's Ed
i painted my 18 inches black..with a clear coat... all i do which makes them shine is once you apply your tyre cleaner (i use the wet look spray) just let the tyre dry up a bit and some of the spray should drip down onto the time and all you need to do is go over them with a cloth.. and theyre shining clean!!!