GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning My Intake Valves (Semi DIY)

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
sweet write up bro. I've been planning to do this when I get the catch can setup so I can start fresh. It's a good thing I got a friend in parts at the Vdub dealership whenever I need a part just like the gasket for the manifold. Plus I'm fast approaching 50k as well and currently at 46k. It's crazy with all this maintenance at the same time. I'm going to do my DSG flush, then I got the oil change coming up and planning to change out the plugs at 50k as well. Hopefully I wont have to do this again before the car is paid off. sheesh.

lancGTI

www.oli.org
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I see that you only cleaned 8 of your valves, is that correct?? becuase i could have sworn we have 4 valves per cylinder.

No, we have a revised version of the 1.8L 8V used in the MKIIs. :rolleyes:

I wonder how much of these deposits that made it past the intake valves were 100% consumed during combustion.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
unless you want to remove the exhaust manifold and clean the exhaust valves.. :cool:

:thumbsup:

That and exhaust valves dont get build up. They get so bloody hot they burn everything off. A cool thing about them is the exhaust valves are filled with sodium that liquefies when hot and circulates through the valve stem dissipating the heat into the cylinder head. It is a pretty neat system.

gizmo

Banned
so, why couldn't I just blast a few cans of some horrible solvent into the intake at a controlled rate for about an hour at a high idle to clean my valves?

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
:thumbsup:

That and exhaust valves dont get build up. They get so bloody hot they burn everything off. A cool thing about them is the exhaust valves are filled with sodium that liquefies when hot and circulates through the valve stem dissipating the heat into the cylinder head. It is a pretty neat system.

dayum.. I didnt know that either.. Alex you are one smart Mo-Fo.. Seriously man I'm not kidding. I wish I could come to one of the Capital Dubs meet but I'm all the way over here in SoCal. Maybe someday I'll make a visit.

lextildeath

Ready to race!
I would still think the exhaust valves would have oil coked on. And why would VW not cover this cleaning under warranty?

gizmo

Banned
I would still think the exhaust valves would have oil coked on. And why would VW not cover this cleaning under warranty?

It's just part of the design of the engine. If anything, I would expect it to be listed on the manual for scheduled maintenance - but I would never expect it to be done for free.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
I can't see the pics, only red x's. good write up though.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Great writeup bro :clap: I'll be tackling this as soon as my Eurojet catch can gets here.
Question: Did you happen to pull an injector during the process? I ask because vwvortex user "iGen" documented his valve cleaning and pulled his injectors, finding them to be "F"ed. One pictured showed that carbon had blocked all but one hole on the nozzle, obviously altering the spay pattern and contributing to his rough idle and cold start misses.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
He Seafoamed at 30k, but it doesn't get anything.

Fixed. I am convinced, 100%, after seeing, feeling, and cleaning this carbon off, there is no chemical in the world that will get this off once it has already built up.

I did not pull the injectors and none came off with the manifold. I didn't want to reseal them. Anyways, there is ~15k miles on the RS4 injectors. I cant imagine they are that bad yet.