GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chipping a 6spd man...

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Are there any people out there that have chipped the manual transmission yet? And if so, is first gear useless or can you still do everyday driving with it? My other question is hypotheticaly speaking: What if I'm somewhere and I can't get 93 octane and the best they have is 92 or 91. Will this screw it up or make it run like sh*t with the APR 93 octane one? Or is it just safer on the engine to get the 91 octane one?
Sorry for the questions but I've never chipped a car before and I really want to do it.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
don't go lower than 91, anything less could result in premature detenation

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
That question can best be answered by APR.

Myself, I'd go with the 91 just to be on the safe side. I'm sure if you ran the 93 and had 91 in the tank it would retard the timing and not run at it's full potential.

I have a GIAC K04 chip in my modded A4 1.8t 5-speed. It's 91 Octane and have run 101 Octane Unleaded Race gas here and you can seriously tell the difference by seat of the pants. The car runs smoother too and is much more responsive when you accelerate.

Go with the 91 and you should be just fine!

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
ive got the apr chip with 93. everyday driving is fine. u can make it feel just like stock. unless you're flooring the car, its not gonna be spinning the tires. and speaking of flooring it, i tryed launching my car the other night and man did i go absolutely nowhere. i was spinning like crazy from launching under 3k. gonna have to practice a lil more i guess.

mkfast5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
BMP MK5
GIAC X Chip

I just got the GIAC chip from shine racing in mass. yesterday and so far my car is pretty fast, i got the 93 octane program and i recomend it to anyone getting a chip.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
i loved running 101 in my old passat 1.8t. I actually had containers filled with race gas in my garage. You can tell a huge difference running pump and race gas. I plan on getting the apr 93 program w/ race gas mode and stock.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Revo 93, 6mt here,.......

- Car is completely driveable just control you right foot. Launching in 1st is a partial throttle affair. Upshifting to 2nd @ peak torque will net the best accel. but you might have to feather it a hair initially to limit wheel spin.
I usually shift to 2nd a hair earlier than peak torque for the move into 2nd, and let the rapid build in power do the accel/traction work. I haven't tested it yet,...but a 2nd gear launch may work well too.

- You can put 91 oct. in a chipped car without dire consequences, the car will adjust itself to eliminate detonation and/or knock etc. but the power will be reduced, obviously. I wouldn't run the car like this for hundreds of miles but it won't kill the car either.
Your best bet is to get the car "flashed"(chipped) to have it when you are ready, and then just get your local tech to switch the program when you're ready.